How to Audition
We hold choir auditions the week before each semester begins. Please arrange to be on campus the week before your first day of classes.
*The Concert Choir will be performing at the ACDA Conference in March and therefore will require a 2 semester commitment.*
Step 1: Sign Up for Your Audition
Using the access code "pioneer", sign up for an audition time through Sign Up Genius. If you cannot make any of the times listed or would like additional assistance signing up, please email Joni Jensen, DMA, at email@example.com.
Step 2: Prepare for Your Audition
Choir auditions should be sung in the classical style.
- Please prepare to sing the melody of one of the songs below a cappella (one verse only). You may choose the key.
- Please prepare to sing a part other than the melody (Alto, Tenor, Bass) of one of the songs below (one verse only). This will be with accompaniment in the key indicated. (please choose a different song than the one used for the melody portion)
- Warm up your full vocal range and be ready show this range in vocalises. There also will possibly be sight-singing and a 'listen and sing' elements.
- Auditions are held in Room 101 of the Music Building on TWU's Denton campus the week before each semester begins.
- Arrive a little early to fill out our Choral Audition Form (pdf).
All sheet music is available in pdf format. Music will be provided at the audition, or you may bring your own copy.
- All Creatures of Our God and King
- Amazing Grace
- America the Beautiful
- Angels We Have Heard on High
- Home on the Range
- How Firm a Foundation
- How Great Thou Art
- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
- My Country, 'Tis of Thee
- The Star Spangled Banner
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
After the Audition
Once your audition is complete, register for the choir to which you are assigned or come to the appropriate call-back audition as determined by Joni Jensen, DMA.
There are currently four choir ensembles at TWU. All choirs are open to all students at the university. No auditions are necessary for the university chorus. Once you audition, you will be placed in the best group for you.
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Choir||Course Number||Meeting Time||Description|
|Concert Choir||MU 3551
|M–Th 12:30–1:20||Large auditioned women’s chorus|
|Chamber Singers||MU 3591
|MW 1:30–2:20||Auditioned mixed-chamber chorus|
|Pioneer Voices||N/A||TBD||Highly select women’s ensemble|
|University Chorus||MU 3531||MW 1:30–2:20||A flexible ensemble that will adjust to meet student needs|