Claire L. Sahlin, Ph.D.
Cornaro Professor and Associate Dean for the College of Arts and Sciences
Teaching Areas: Foundations for Scholarly Inquiry in Women's Studies, Feminist Theories, Feminism and Religion, Feminist Ethics, Ecofeminist Theorizing, Spirituality and Activism, Feminist Pedagogies, New Directions in Feminist and Womanist Theories, Transdisciplinary Studies Colloquium, Holistic Pedagogies Colloquium
Research Areas: Religion in women's studies classrooms, feminist perspectives on religion and spirituality, ecofeminism, feminist ethics, women's spirituality in later Medieval Europe, single-sex education, the institutional development of women's studies
|Ph.D.||1996||The Study of Religion||Harvard University|
|M.A.||1991||The Study of Religion||Harvard University|
|M.T.S.||1986||Theological Studies||Harvard University, The Divinity School|
|B.A.||1982||Philosophy and Psychology, summa cum laude||Bethel College|
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Holy Women of Medieval Scandinavia: A Survey.” Medieval Holy Women in the Christian Tradition: Twelfth through Fifteenth Centuries. Turnhout, Belgium: Brepols International Academic Publishers, forthcoming. In press.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Gender and the Paradoxes of Religious Authority: Birgitta of Sweden’s Encounters with Archbishop Bernard of Naples.” Santa Brigida, Napoli, L’Italia 2009: 95-103. Print.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Texas Woman’s University: Threats to Institutional Autonomy and Conflict Over the Admission of Men.” The Coed Challenge: The Fate of Women’s Colleges Since the 1960s 2006: 108-144. Print.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Vital to the Institutional Mission and Key to Survival: Women’s Studies at Women’s Colleges.” NWSA Journal 2005: 164-70.
- Sahlin, Claire L. Birgitta of Sweden and the Voice of Prophecy. Studies in Medieval Mysticism, Vol. 3. Woodbridge, Suffolk: Boydell and Brewer, 2001.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Preaching and Prophesying: The Public Proclamation of Birgitta of Sweden’s Revelations.” Performance and Transformation: New Approaches to Late Medieval Spirituality 1999: 69-96. Print.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “The Prophetess as Preacher: Birgitta of Sweden and the Voice of Prophecy.” Medieval Sermon Studies 40 1997: 29-44. Print.
- Sahlin, Claire L. “Gender and Prophetic Authority in Birgitta of Sweden’s Revelations.” Gender and Text in the Later Middle Ages 1996: 69-95. Print.
Honors, Awards & Services
|2007||Summer Research Stipend||TWU|
|2005||Multidisciplinary Research Grant||TWU|
|2004, 2001||Research Enhancement Program Award||TWU|
|2003-2004||President||American Academy of Religion, Southwest Region|
|1999-2004||Regional Representative||National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA), South-Central Region|
|2003||Summer Stipend||National Endowment for the Humanities|
|2003||Outstanding Honors Faculty of the Year||TWU|