TWU to implement Google Apps for Education
University-wide implementation of Google Apps for Education is scheduled Jan. 5, 2015. The email upgrade will be in effect for all current and incoming students on that date. The use of a Google email account will be optional for TWU faculty and staff.
According to the TWU Office of Technology, advantages of the upgrade include:
• Students, faculty and staff can keep their @twu.edu email addresses
• Current passwords will work with Google mail and apps
• Increased storage space to 30GB
• Ability to save and access files from any computer through Google Drive
• Additional apps including Google Hangouts, Google Forms and Google Calendar
• Improved navigation and responsive design superior to older email systems
The email upgrade initiative is the result of the TWU student body providing feedback to the TWU Office of Technology for areas of improvement. Last spring, StudentsACT (Students Advisory Committee for Technology) hosted events on the Denton, Dallas and Houston campuses and hosted an eLounge through Commuter Services to make students aware of the available email system options. More than 60 percent of the 1,459 students who completed the survey selected Google. Officials in the Office of Technology then decided to offer the Google Apps for Education implementation as an option for faculty and staff.
More details on the implementation will be provided throughout the fall semester. Information will be available online at the Commuter Services eLounge, twu.edu/commuter from noon to 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 21. Google Apps Tech Talks are scheduled as follows:
• For students, Tuesday, Dec. 2 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in room 301 of the Administration Conference Tower (ACT), with videoconferencing to room 8201 in Dallas Center and room 5305 in the Houston Center
• For faculty and staff, Thursday, Dec. 4 from 2-3 p.m. in ACT 301, with videoconferencing to room 8201 in the Dallas Center and room 3322 in the Houston Center.
The campus community soon will receive email updates with tip sheets and FAQs on how to access and make use of the new Google mail and additional apps available with these accounts. The Office of Technology Service Desk will have extended support available during the first two weeks of January during the email upgrade to assist students, faculty and staff with issues or concerns relating to their email accounts, Google apps, etc.
More information on the Google Apps for Education implementation is available at www.twu.edu/google
page updated 5/9/2016 4:58 PM