Terry Foundation Scholarship
The Terry Foundation is a Houston-based organization founded to provide scholarships to outstanding Texas high school graduates and transfer students for attendance at public universities within the state. Established in 1986 by Houston philanthropists Howard and Nancy Terry, the Foundation has assisted hundreds of Terry Scholars in meeting the Founders' goal of helping young people to help themselves. Texas Woman’s University enrolled its first Terry Scholars in fall 2013.
This scholarship provides incoming first-year and transfer students the opportunity to not only receive a scholarship, but also provides academic, cultural, social and leadership opportunities and support throughout the college experience.
Terry Foundation Requirements
The following requirements are set by the Terry Foundation; failure to meet these requirements may result in termination of the scholarship.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA each semester
- Maintain full-time enrollment status in courses primarily taught face to face
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year and comply with any verification requests (Traditional/First-Year Scholar Requirement)
- Complete the Terry Foundation self-evaluation letter each year
- Attend all Terry Foundation functions (3 per academic year: Orientation, Banquet, Picnic)
- Comply with all aspects of the university code of conduct and the Terry Foundation Scholar Handbook
TWU Terry Scholar Expectations
Terry Scholars are selected based on their leadership abilities, strong academic achievement, and financial need. The Terry Foundation expects Scholars to continue in leadership roles, to give back to their university and communities, and to support one another, throughout their undergraduate experience and beyond. These expectations are summarized in the Foundation’s Pillars of Excellence. Texas Woman's University expects the following of its scholars:
- All incoming scholars will meet with the Terry Campus Coordinator at least once each term
- Actively participate in the Terry Scholar Student Organization
- Participate in community service events on campus and in the community
- File the FAFSA no later than Nov. 15
Traditional/First Year Scholars
- Enroll in a special/designated first-year experience course
- Live on campus in the Terry Scholar Living Learning Community
Students must submit an application to Texas Woman's University. The scholarship applications for traditional and transfer applicants is available in the TWU Pioneer Scholarship System.
Application Deadline: January 11, 2019
Page last updated 8:32 AM, October 8, 2018