Phi Alpha, Beta Sigma Chapter
Phi Alpha, Beta Sigma Chapter is a national social work honor society. Phi Alpha members must meet national eligibility standards for scholarship. Phi Alpha holds program meetings featuring speakers of interest to social work students and is actively involved in the community with fundraising and volunteer projects. Members of Phi Alpha hold induction ceremonies and host social work program graduation receptions each semester. The organization’s president serves on the Social Work Program Advisory Council and attends three council meetings annually. There is a one-time membership fee of $85 to join. Meetings are the first and third Wednesdays of each month in SU 207.
The purpose of Phi Alpha Honor Society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
The Phi Alpha Honor Society is collecting donations for Denton County Friends of the Family. DCFOF Residential Services are in need of the following items:
- Bathroom: Bath soap, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, feminine products, over-the-counter cold medicines, toilet paper, hair brushes, lip balm, cotton swabs, facial cleansers, women's razors, band-aids, first aid kits and cloth bandages. Regular sizes are preferred over travel sizes.
- Children: Diapers (all sizes); high chairs; strollers; car seats; baby wipes; baby formula; pack and plays; clothing for infants, toddlers, boys and girls (all sizes); and school supplies.
- Groceries: Fresh produce, meats, dairy, grains, canned food, tissues, napkins, paper towels, aluminum foil, plastic wrap and trash bags.
- Cleaning: Bleach, dryer sheets, laundry detergent, mops, brooms, cleaner, dish detergent, sponges, toilet brushes, light bulbs, buckets, bleach wipes and hand sanitizer.
- Linens: Pillows, blankets, sheets(twin), towels, pillowcases, washcloths and curtains.
- Toys: Toys for all ages, children's books and children's DVDs.
- Transportation: Gas cards (Race Trac, Quick Trip, etc.), DCTA bus passes, and car seats.
- Miscellaneous: Gift certificates to grocery stores, ESL books, GED preparation books, laundry baskets, new or gently used clothing (all sizes), G or PG rated DVDs, and books.
If you would like to donate items to DCFOF, please contact Phi Alpha adviser, Linda Marshall, Ph.D.
Qualifications for membership
Social work students interested in applying for membership must first:
- declare social work as a major;
- achieve sophomore status;
- completed nine (9) credit hours in major courses;
- achieved an all-college grade point average of 3.0;
- achieved a 3.25 grade point average in major courses.
Application for membership
- Download and complete the Phi Alpha Honor Society Membership Form.
- Attach a copy of your transcript to the completed membership form and submit to the Phi Alpha Honor Society adviser, Linda Marshall, Ph.D.
Linda Marshall, Ph.D., LMSW
Associate Professor; Phi Alpha Adviser
Office: OMB 200A