MLS with School Librarian Certification Focus
The Master of Library Science degree program at Texas Woman's University is accredited by the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation, with the status of Continued accreditation. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for 2024.
The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree with School Librarian Certification (SLC) focus is available entirely online and is designed to prepare professionals to work in libraries in elementary schools, middle schools, and/or high schools (K-12).
Steps to Admission
Applicants must apply to both the TWU Graduate School and SLIS. See steps 1 and 2 below.
1. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- No standard test score is required if your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, or if you have another graduate degree.
- If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you are required to submit an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
2. Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials, in a single, complete mailing, to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425769, Denton, TX 76204-5769, OR submit the materials via email to email@example.com.
- A SLIS Application Form (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended). Please indicate on the form that you plan to pursue the MLS with School Librarian Certification focus.
- A resume
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- 3 professional reference letters sent via postal mail on official letterhead OR sent via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) directly from the name of the reference
- Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
- The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Cyndee Tanttari in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or email@example.com.
Total hours for MLS with SLC focus: 36 hours
Required Courses: 30 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5053 Information Retrieval (formerly LS 5013)
- LS 5233 Multimedia Resources and Services
- LS 5333 School Library Media Center
- LS 5603 Literature for Children and Young Adults
- LS 5003 Collection Development
- LS 5103 Cataloging and Classification
- LS 5263 Information Sources and Services
- LS 5443 Librarians as Instructional Partners
- LS 5843 Practicum
Electives: 6 hours
This preparation is achieved by: 1) the acquisition of knowledge in a set of courses basic to an understanding of library and information studies; 2) advanced instruction in courses selected according to the student's career goals; 3) completion of a practicum or internship.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
Page last updated 12:22 PM, July 28, 2017