MLS with School Librarian Certification Focus
The Master of Library Science degree program at Texas Woman’s University is accredited by the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation, with the status of Continued accreditation. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for 2024.
The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree with School Librarian Certification (SLC) focus is available entirely online and is designed to prepare professionals to work in libraries in elementary schools, middle schools, and/or high schools (K-12).
Total hours for MLS with SLC focus: 36 hours
Required Courses: 30 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5053 Information Retrieval (formerly LS 5013)
- LS 5233 Multimedia Resources and Services
- LS 5333 School Library Media Center
- LS 5603 Literature for Children and Young Adults
- LS 5003 Collection Development
- LS 5103 Cataloging and Classification
- LS 5263 Information Sources and Services
- LS 5443 Librarians as Instructional Partners
- LS 5843 Practicum
Electives: 6 hours
See the Courses section for additional information.
Steps to Admission
Applicants must apply to both the TWU Graduate School and SLIS. See steps 1 and 2 below along with the Additional Requirement.
1. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- No standard test score is required if your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, or if you have a previous graduate degree.
- If your cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you are required to submit an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School.
- Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree at a foreign institution or whose U.S. undergraduate transcript does not provide a cumulative GPA are required to submit standardized test scores. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- For questions on the Graduate School admissions process, contact the Office of Admissions Processing at OAP@twu.edu or (940) 898-3076.
2. Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by postal mail to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425769, Denton, TX 76204-5769.
- A SLIS Application Form (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended)
- A resume
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- 3 professional reference letters sent via postal mail on official letterhead OR sent via email (to email@example.com) directly from the name of the reference
Apply to the TWU Educator Preparation Program. For Texas School Librarian certification information, contact the Office of Educator Preparation Services at 940-898-2829 or email Linda Kobler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
- The preferred application deadlines are June 1 for the Fall semester, November 1 for the Spring semester, and April 1 for the Summer semester.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or email@example.com.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
Page last updated 8:37 AM, June 25, 2018