Who Can Enter as a Contestant?
TWU faculty and staff are welcome to enter the bake off! Both inexperienced and experienced bakers are encouraged to enter, but all baked goods must be made in a home kitchen. Contestants may work individually or with a team. (Prizes will be awarded to 1 member/team only, not each individual in a team.)
What Can I Bake?
All baked entries must fit one of the following dessert category descriptions:
- “Cake-ulent”: includes baked cakes or cupcakes. Cakes may be single or multi-layer.
- “Pie-tastic”: includes baked pies (fruit, custard, etc.).
- “Cookie/Bar-licious”: includes baked cookies and/or dessert bars (brownies, etc.).
Note that breads, muffins, pastries, and baked breakfast foods are not eligible for entry.
What Are the Bake-Off Rules?
Participants must meet the following criteria to be eligible for award consideration:
- Entries must be delivered to the event location by 9:00 a.m. the day of the event.
- Participants may enter any recipe and are not required to submit original recipes. Recipes may come from cookbooks, magazines, websites, or any other source.
- Entries must displayed your recipe’s name/description and ingredients next to your entry. This will ensure that individuals with food allergies or dietary needs can participate in sampling and bidding on items.
- Submissions must be home cooked - not store bought.
- Entries should be submitted on plates/platters that the participant does not need be returned, or on a paper plate/in a recyclable container (tinfoil pans, plastic bags, etc.). Serving plates/platters/containers will not be returned as they are given away as part of the Auction. The organizers and TWU/SECC representatives are in any way responsible for the loss of any personal items.
- Entries may not require heating or refrigeration as hot/cold storage will NOT be available.
- All entries are to be submitted with a minimum of two whole identical items (2 complete pies, 2 complete cakes, etc.) OR in the quantity of two dozen for cupcakes, cookies, bars, or individually baked items (two sets of 12). One dessert will be consumed by the judges and attendees. The other dessert will be auctioned at the event with the proceeds going to SECC.
- TWU will provide serving utensils, plates, forks and napkins for the judges and audience.
- Participants must attend for the awards segment during the event or find a replacement to accept if awarded.
What Can I Win?
Three finalists will be selected for each category. One finalist from each category will be awarded first place and will win an award and community-donated prize. Those placing in second and third place in each category will receive award representing their respective placement.
How Will Recipes Be Judged?
An appointed panel of judges will evaluate entries. Each recipe will be judged based on the following criteria:
How Do I Register as a Contestant?
Participants must complete the following before they will be considered registered:
- Pre-register by Friday, October 19 by completing the Desert Bake-Off & Auction Entry Form.
- Submit the $5.00 entry donation per recipe (cash or check payable to TWU SECC) to Nora Sierra, ACT 13. You may send the entry donation by campus main, but please include a note with the entry donation indicating the participant’s name and recipe so we can match entries.
Page last updated 11:38 AM, September 21, 2018