Michael Morris, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Professor
Office: CFO 810
B.A. 1999 Psychology, Winona State University
Ph.D. 2009 Behavioral Neuroscience, University of Iowa
Postdoctoral Fellow 2009 - 2013, Neuroscience, UT Southwestern Medical Center
Introduction to Psychology
Neurobiology of learning and memory; synaptic transmission; communication between heart and brain; effects of cardiovascular disease on cognition and affect; physiological and behavioral mechanisms of body fluid and sodium balance
- Morris, M.J., Na, E.S., Autry, A.E., & Monteggia, L.M. (2016) Impact of DNMT1 and DNMT3a forebrain knockout on depressive- and anxiety like behavior in mice. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, in press
- Morris, M.J., Adachi, M., Na, E.S. & Monteggia, L.M. (2014) Selective role for DNMT3a in learning and memory. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 115, 30-37.
- Morris, M.J. & Monteggia, L.M. (2014) Role of DNA methylation and the DNA methyltransferases in learning and memory. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, 16, 359 - 371
- Na, E.N., Morris, M.J., Nelson, E., & Monteggia, L.M. (2014). GABAA receptor antagonism ameliorates behavioral and synaptic impairments associated with MeCP2 overexpression. Neuropsychopharmacology, 115, 30 – 37.
- Morris, M.J., Maghoub, M., Na, E.S , Pranav, H. & Monteggia, L.M. (2013) Loss of histone deacetylase 2 improves working memory and accelerates extinction learning. The Journal of Neuroscience, 33, 6401-6411.
- Morris, M. J. & Monteggia, L.M. (2013) Unique functional roles for class I and class II histone deacetylases in central nervous system development and function. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience, 31, 370-381.
- Morris, M.J., Na, E.S., & Johnson, A.K. Voluntary running wheel exercise decreases the threshold for rewarding intracranial self-stimulation. (2012). Behavioral Neuroscience, 126, 582-587.
- Akhtar, M.W., Kim, M.S., Adachi, M., Morris, M.J., Qi, X., Richardson, J.A., Bassel-Duby, R., Olson, E.N., Kavalali, E.T., Monteggia, L.M. (2012). In vivo analysis of MEF2 transcription factors in synapse regulation and neuronal survival. PLoS One, 7, :e34863
2016 – 2019 NIH AREA Award (R15; $291,451)
2015 Psi Chi Travel Award, Midwest Psychological Association 87th Annual Conference
2012-2013 NARSAD Young Investigator Award ($60,000)
2010-2012 The Hartwell Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship ($100,000)
2006-2008 American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship ($48,000)