Claudia Porras Pyland, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Core Counseling Psychology Faculty
Office: CFO 805
- Ph.D., 2011, Counseling Psychology – Oklahoma State University
- M.S., 2007, Educational Psychology, Specialization in Counseling Psychology – Oklahoma State University
- B.A., 2006, Psychology (Spanish and Forensic Science minor) – Texas Tech University
Personality Assessment for Adults, Ethics in Psychology, Advanced Psychopathology, Rorschach Administration and Interpretation, Supervised Practicum
Emotional intelligence, negative self-schemas, romantic attachment styles and intimate partner violence.
Recent Publications & Professional Presentations
- Porras, C., & Mollen. D. (in press). A biography of Lenore Walker, a feminist pioneer. Journal of Women and Therapy.
- Porras, C. V., Stabb, S., & Smith, S. R. (invited chapter; in press). Socio-Economic Considerations in Personality Assessment. In S. R. Smith, and R. Krishnamurthy (Eds.), Diversity Sensitive Personality Assessment. New York: Routledge Press.
- Morgan, R. D., Batastini, A. B., Murray, D. D., Serna, C., Porras, C. V. (2015). Criminal thinking: A fixed or fluid process? Criminal Justice and Behavior, 1-21.
- Porras, C. V., Zamora, R., Crandall, A., and Gonzalez, R. (2015). Experiences of diverse students attending Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Poster presented at the National Multicultural Summit, Atlanta, GA.
- Porras, C. V., Harris, D., Harris, J. (2014). A multitheoretical conceptualization of intimate partner violence. Workshop to be presented at the Texas Psychological Association Conference, Dallas, TX.
- McDermott, R., Porras, C. V., Nguyen, X., Gonzalez, D., & Schwartz, J. (2012). Self-esteem as a moderator and mediator of women’s traditional attitudes of men. Poster presented at the APA Conference, Orlando, FL.
- McKee, M., Roting, S., Winterowd, C., & Porras, C. (2012). Negative self-schemas and partner attachment styles among male batterers. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 27 (13), 2685-2702.
- L. P. M., Jacobs, S. C., Page, K. S., & Porras, C. (2010). An assessment of perceived emotional intelligence and eating attitudes among college students. American Journal of Health Education, 41 (1), 46-52.
- Pettit, M., Jacobs, S. C., Page, K. S., & Porras, C. (2009). An assessment of perceived emotional intelligence and health behaviors among college students. The Health Educator, 41 (2), 54-63.
- Has served as the admissions coordinator for the Master’s and Doctoral Counseling Psychology Programs since 2013
- Has served on the Undergraduate Faculty search committee
- 2014-Present: Member of Division 17 Continuing Education Committee
- 2015: Member of the Nomination Review Committee
- 2013: Lead Investigator: An investigation of microaggressions and the resiliency of students of color at a Hispanic serving institution. New Mexico State University, College of Education. Research grant to fund qualitative interviews. ($1,250). Funded January 2013-December 2013.
- 2011: Teaching Academy Distinguished Member.
- 2010: State representative for the Southwestern Psychological Association.
Page last updated 12:02 PM, October 6, 2017