Employee Reimbursement Policy
Employees are expected to follow University policies and procedures for the purchase of goods using Requisitions/Purchase Orders, Purchasing Cards (PCards), or Check Requests. Use of personal funds should be a very rare occurrence necessitated by an unforeseen or emergency circumstance. This policy does not pertain to employee travel expenses, refer to TWU travel policies.
Reimbursements will be mailed to the employee address as on file with Human Resources, unless the employee is setup for direct deposit.
Prior to using personal funds, employees must carefully consider the requirements for verifying and justifying the expense as a critical requirement for the University. Reimbursements will not be paid unless adequate justification supports the use of personal funds as the only alternative.
The following guidelines must be observed to obtain a reimbursement:
- Purchasing regulations applicable to the type of purchase and funding source will apply.
- Texas state sales tax will not be reimbursed on purchases of tangible goods.
- Itemized receipts and proof of payment will be required.
- Purpose of the purchase and documentation of the circumstances requiring the expenditure must be included.
- Reimbursements must be requested within 60 days from the date expenses were incurred. If the purchase is made in July or August, it must be submitted immediately to be charged in the appropriate fiscal year.
- Due to IRS tax implications, employees will not be reimbursed for payments to an independent contractor. All self-employed persons are considered to be independent contractors for the purpose of this policy. Payments made to other TWU employees will not be reimbursed.
- Employees will not be reimbursed for personal funds distributed to research participants. Funds for research
- This policy does not pertain to refunds for items an employee or individual has paid to the University.
Page last updated 10:35 AM, June 4, 2018