TWU's chapter of Phi Kappa Phi focuses on service to TWU and the local community, a purpose that aligns with PKP's mission: "To recognize and promote academic excellence in all fields of higher education and to engage the community of scholars in service to others."
Your Student Vice-Presidents actively work to create service projects to engage our members throughout the year - you'll receive notices of such opportunities via email. Our chapter has compiled a list of service opportunities (below) available to our members at any time. While there is no service requirement for membership to Phi Kappa Phi, it is in our mission to serve.
Phi Kappa Phi Literacy Grants
Our chapter is always interested in supporting active members who wish to pursue a literacy grant through the national society. Grants of up to $2,500 are available to Phi Kappa Phi chapters and individual members to fund ongoing literacy projects or to create new initiatives. Interested members should contact the chapter president to get started on a grant application.
- Mentor Denton - This organization challenges Denton residents to serve as a mentor to one kid, one hour a week during the school year. There are an estimated 10,000 students in the Denton ISD who could benefit from membership. Will you be one of the 10,000 mentors?
- Houston hosts a Dream Academy. Children participate in one-on-one sessions with carefully matched mentors - the sessions complement afterschool activities that combine academic fundamentals.
- Girls Inc. Dallas welcomes female mentors at all four Girls Inc. Campuses in Love Field, Oak Cliff, South Dallas, and West Dallas.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of America welcomes mentors in cities across the country.
Opportunities in Denton
- TWU Volunteer Services seeks to engage students in experiences that address human and community needs. We strive to promote student learning and development through our programmatic endeavors and our commitment to a culture of active citizenship.
- Shiloh Field is a community garden where locals and volunteers plant, weed, and harvest food for those in need. The donated produce goes to the local food bank, other ministries in Denton County, and those in need. While associated with Denton Bible Church, individual plots are open to the community without a charge and water is included.
- The staff of Denton County Friends of the Family is doing everything in our power to stop family violence and heal the wounds of sexual assault. But, we cannot do it alone. We need YOUR help. Volunteers play a vital part in the delivery of services from rocking babies, painting shelter rooms, helping at the Thrift Store; volunteers are one of the largest assets Friends of the Family has. Our volunteers make it possible for us to give our clients excellent service.
- The City of Denton maintains a site for interested volunteers.
Opportunities in Dallas
- Paws in the City is committed to ending the overpopulation, abuse, neglect of Dallas area dogs and cats. Our goal is that every adoptable dog and cat get a loving home. We are a 501C3 all volunteer, no-kill organization.
- Volunteers are invaluable to community service and to the North Texas Food Bank. Without volunteer help, NTFB can’t provide food to the hundreds of thousands of North Texans that it currently serves.
- LIFT, Literacy Instruction for Texas, works with adults in North Texas on improving literacy.
- The City of Dallas maintains a site for interested volunteers.
Opportunities in Houston
- Want to make a difference in the lives of Houston's homeless animals? Become a Friends For Life Volunteer! We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities, and all of them make a true difference to the animals in our care.
- Houston Habitat for Humanity, with thousands of sponsors and volunteers, has built over 940 homes for hard-working, low-income Houstonians. Habitat Partner Families contribute 300 hours of “sweat equity” and complete training on home ownership to purchase homes with no-interest mortgages.
- The Friends of the Houston Public Library, founded in 1953, is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to fostering wider recognition, use, and support of The Houston Public Library. With support from the Friends our Library is better able to meet the vital needs of the community.
PAWS Houston understands how important loving animals can be to the healing of the human body and mind. Volunteers at PAWS Houston provide much needed assistance to our clients in the care for their much beloved companion pet.
- The City of Houston maintains a site for interested volunteers.