Husny Amerih, PhD, OTR, CKTI
Associate Professor, Denton Campus
PhD 2007 Occupational Therapy, TWU
MS 2002 Occupational Therapy, University of Central Arkansas
BS 2000 Occupational Therapy, University of Central Arkansas
OT Diploma 1993 OT, Occupational Therapy School of Jordan
Applying the Standards of Education of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists to Selected Occupational Therapy Educational Programs in the United States, August 2007, Chaired by Dr. Gayle Hersch.
Certified by NBCOT OTR
Licensed to practice OT in Texas
Certified by RESNA as Assistive Technology Practitioner
Certified by Kinesiotaping International as Kinesio Taping Instructor/Faculty
- August/2014- Present: Associate Professor, School of Occupational Therapy at TWU.
- August/2008- August/2014: Assistant Professor, School of Occupational Therapy at TWU.
- August/2007-May/2008: Adjunct at the School of Occupational Therapy at TWU.
- January/2004- May/2004 and January /2006- May/2008: part-time Graduate Assistant or teaching Assistant at the School of OT at TWU
- 8/2008- Present: PRN OTR at various local rehabilitation centers, LTC facilities and Acute care hospitals.
- March/2007- 8/2008: Occupational Therapists, Rehab Care, Inc., Dallas, Texas.
- April/2005- March/2007: Lead Supervisor OT, Rehab Pro Inc., Dallas, Texas: Adult and geriatric rehab. Orthopedic, neurological, and general medical rehabilitation.
Courses Taught at TWU
- OT 4033: Analysis of Persons, Tools and Occupation
- OT 5522: Occupational Adaptation Adolescence to Mid Adulthood
- OT 5722: Occupational Adaptation Middle to Late Adulthood
- OT 5732: Specific Tools of Practice
- OT 5916: Adaptation to Physical Challenges in Adult Years
- OT 5512: Knowledge Basis Movement in Context
- OT5753: Designing Eval Management System
- OT 5332: Ways of Doing
- OT 5801: Appraising the Evidence
- OT 5932: Rehabilitation Technology in Practice
- OT 5732: Assistive and Computer Technology Tools in Practice
- OT5822: Issues in Adaptation/Elective: Shoulder Evaluation and Intervention
Doctoral (PhD) Dissertations
- Sarah DiMeo (2016). Serving as a Committee member on one Dissertation: Matching Student with Special Needs to Communication Devices, Member.
Doctoral (OTD) Capstones
- Bridgette Richardson (2016), Chair. Addressing the Stress of Caregivers of Adults with Intellectual Disability
- Stephanie Longoria (2017), Chair. The Efficacy of Occupational Therapist Discharge Recommendations Correlating to Patient Cognitive Function in the Acute Care Setting.
- Theresa Rice (2017), Chair. The impact of instructional method on the application of Kinesio Taping® techniques for occupational therapy students
Master’s Professional Papers
- Brandt, Survey of International Occupational Therapists' Continuing Education Needs and Opportunities, 2010, Chair.
- McShane and Michel, An Assistive Technology Cookbook for Teaching Children with Autism, 2010, chair.
- Bell and Plunkett : Survey of Assistive Technology in Public Schools, in progress, Chair. Komu, Survey of blindness in Eastern Africa, 2011, Chair
- Bradford: On-line education on splint-wear precautions and patient education, 2011, Chair.
- Duer and Davenport : Occupational Therapy and the Evolution of Prosthetic Devices, 2011, Chair.
- Schoonover: The experience of parents of children with infantile stroke, 2011, Chair. Del Rosario, K. Hyden,J. & Lazos,Y: Access to evidence-based occupational therapy (EBOT), 2012, chair.
- Petry, L. & Ironbar, E. The utilization of evidence-based occupational therapy in clinical sites, 2012, chair.
- Moreno, B. & Brewer J. Identifying and Understanding Factors that influence Occupational Therapy Students’ Performance, 2012, chair.
Refereed Publications or Other Creative Achievements
DiMeo, S., Baxter, F., Pemberton, J., Amerih, H. (2018). Matching Students to Augmentative and Alternative Communication: A Single Case Study, the Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals (JAASEP). Accepted for publication, Winter, 2018 edition.
Amerih, H. (2013) The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy,1:(2). International Occupational Therapists Continuing Education Needs and Opportunities: A survey.
Amerih, H. (2013). Advance for Occupational Therapy Practitioners. Using iPads in OT education.
Amerih, H., Nazzal, M.,& Elsalloukh,H. (2013 ). Health. Using Distance Education in Teaching Skills of Orthotic Fabrication to Occupational Therapy Students.
Amerih, H; Hersch, G. (2009). WFOT Bulletin. The challenges and adaptation of foreign-educated occupational therapists.
Presentations at Professional Meetings
Amerih, H. Introduction to Therapeutic Taping. Hashemite University, Jordan. July/2016.
Amerih, H. Shoulder Complex Examination, Evaluation &Intervention. Hashemite University, Jordan. July/2016.
Amerih, H., Meyer-Jarvis, L. Most Common Shoulder Injuries: Evaluation and Interventions. Mountain Central Conference, Frisco, TX, November/2015
Amerih, H. & Hebert, J. Therapeutic Use of Crafts in LTC , Ideas & Resources, Mountain Central Conference, Sugarland, TX, November/2014.
Amerih, H. , Garcia, C & Cornelius, C. Using iPads in Rehab and School Settings - Hands On. Mountain Central Conference, Sugarland, TX, November/2014.
Amerih, H. & Shihadeh, R. The Use of Evidence-Based Practice Among OT Practitioners, a Survey. Accepted presentation at the WFOT congress , Japan. (June/2014)
Amerih, H. & Shihadeh, R. Applying the Standards of Education of the WFOT to Selected OT Programs in the USA. Accepted at the WFOT congress, Japan. (June/2014)
Shihadeh, R. & Amerih, H. International Occupational Therapists Continuing Professional Education Needs and Opportunities; Developed Versus Developing Countries, A survey. Accepted at the WFOT congress, Japan. (June/2014)
Shihadeh, R. & Amerih, H. The Challenges and Adaptation of Foreign-Educated Occupational Therapists. Accepted at the WFOT congress, Japan .(June/2014)
Amerih, H. & Boyer, B. Back to the Roots: Crafts in LTC, Ideas & Resources/updated : accepted at the 2013 Mountain Central Conference, Sugarland, TX, November/2013.
Amerih, H. , Bond, M., Reat, C., Cook, K., Cornelius, C.,& Taylor, S. Using IPads in Rehab and School-Hands On. A workshop Accepted at the 2013 Mountain Central Conference, Sugarland, TX, November/2013.
Amerih, H. (9/2013). Assessment of Wheelchair Positioning, online Webinar. Amerih, H. (7/2013). Introduction to Electrotherapeutic agents, online Webinar.
Amerih, H. & Boyer, B. (2012). Back to the Roots: Crafts in LTC, Ideas & Resources: 2012 Mountain Central Conference, Austin, TX, November/04/2012.
Amerih, H. & Brown, D. (2012). Utilization of iPads in Lab Settings, Teaching Skills and Hands-on, 6th Annual Online Educator Symposium August/2012 (presentation was accepted however was cancelled due to travel mishap).
Amerih, H. Ballou, A. Plunkett, K. (2011). Survey of Availability of Assistive Devices in Public Schools: Urban Versus Rural Areas. TOTA Mountain Central Conference 11/04/2011, Frisco , TX. Poster presentation.
Amerih, H. (2010). Introduction to Assistive Technology, 8 hours’ workshop. JUST University. Amman, Jordan 6/2010.
Amerih, H. (2010). The challenges and adaptation of foreign-educated occupational therapists. TWU Cultural Connections Conference, Denton, TT March 2010
Amerih, H. (2009). The Use of Assistive Technology in Rehab Settings. The 16th Vanderkooi Endowed Lectureship, Dallas, Texas, February 2009.
Amerih, H. (2006). Occupational Adaptation Symposium, Houston, Texas.
Honors and Awards
Nominated for CHS teaching award 2013.
Scholarly Works in Progress
Non-Refereed Publications or Other Creative Achievements
Survey of Availability of AT in public schools, a pilot study was initiated by students, the project may be pursuit at a larger scale at a later time.
Service Activities for the Component, College, University
- Graduate Council, TWU, 2015-Present.
- TWU Graduate Council- Executive Committee, member, 2016-Present.
- Chair of TWU Academic Programs Committee 2016-Present.
- Advisor for the Phi Theta Epsilon (Honor OT Society) at School of OT/Denton Campus, 2010-Present
- Member of the TWU Graduate Council 2014-
- Member of the Director Search Committee 2014-
- Member of the Faculty Search Committee 2014-
- Member of the College of Health Science award committee 2013-2014
- Chair of the School of OT Admission Revision Committee, 2012-2013
- Member of the College of Health Science award committee 2011-2012
- Member of the Research Committee, School of OT, 2010-Present
- Member of the Admission and Retention Committee 2009-Present
- Member of the Director Search Committee 2010
Service to the Profession
- Serves as a reviewer for the Australian Occupational Therapy Journal.
- Serves on the “International Academic Advisory Board” for the Hashemite University in Jordan. 2011 to present.