There isn’t just a shortage of nurses in this country, but a shortage of nurse leaders to train and lead those nurses in the coming decades.
Our graduate programs prepare you to meet the evolving demands of health care systems and lead at the highest levels of clinical nursing practice. We advance nursing scholarship, transform leaders and develop innovative solutions to complex health care challenges.
We offer graduate programs at the master’s and doctoral levels, as well as post-baccalaureate certificates.
Master of Science (MS) in Nursing
Master’s-prepared nurses serve as as educators, nurse practitioners and leaders.. They are increasingly in demand. At TWU, we offer the following Master of Science (MS) programs of study:
- A Nurse Practitioner (NP) is an advanced practice nurse who functions as a primary care provider to patients of any age, managing common health problems.
- The 100-percent online Nursing Education (NE) program prepares nurses for faculty and staff education roles.
- Our Nursing Health Systems Management program trains professional nurses to assume a leadership role in health care.
- The RN-MS program serves registered nurses with an associate degree or accredited nursing diploma as they complete their undergraduate degree and earn credit toward a master’s degree in the process.
- Our Post-Baccalaureate RN-MS is designed for registered nurses with an associate degree or accredited diploma in a field other than nursing to earn a master’s degree.
Doctoral-level students are leaders in our field. They serve as teachers, researchers and administrators, pushing the boundaries of nursing knowledge and addressing problems of global human health. At TWU, we offer the following doctoral programs:
- The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program prepares advanced practice nurses to work as expert clinicians who bring evidenced-based practices to acute and primary care.
- Students in the PhD in Nursing Science program engage in scholarship that adds to the body of nursing knowledge. They investigate questions of human health, assume leadership in the field and mentor future scholars.
- Our DNP to PhD Bridge Program is designed for nurses who have completed a DNP and wish to obtain a PhD in Nursing Science.
Graduate Certificate Program
The Post MS Certificate program caters to those who already have a master’s degree in nursing but are looking for additional certification as a Nurse Practitioner, or in Nursing Health Systems Management or Nursing Education.
Nurses living outside the United States are invited to Texas through our International Health Professions Nurse Mentor Program. The program pairs visiting nurses with faculty to conduct research or develop teaching and clinical skills.