‘Military Friendly’ TWU salutes veterans
Distinguished Alumna Maj. Gen. Mary Saunders
Distinguished Alumna Maj. Gen. Mary Saunders, retired, served her country for more than 34 years in the U.S. Air Force, including serving at the Pentagon as the highest-ranking African-American woman in the Air Force. A member of the Texas Women’s Hall of Fame, she currently serves as the director of the TWU Leadership Institute.
DENTON— Texas Woman’s University earns national recognition for its support of student veterans as the university is set to honor all those who have served.
TWU has been named a Military Friendly® School for the seventh consecutive year. The 2016 Military Friendly Schools list recognizes the top universities, colleges and trade schools nationwide that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members and veterans as students.
According to Victory Media, a service-disabled, veteran-owned business serving the military community since 2001, criteria for Military Friendly Schools include military support on campus, academic credibility, percent of military students, academic credit for military service, flexibility for military students and more.
Military- and veteran-focused offerings at TWU include:
- The Veteran Students’ Center, a study and gathering space providing TWU student veterans a place to connect with others who have served and those who want to support them;
- Active recruitment of veteran students and the website, www.twu.edu/veterans, which has admissions information specifically for veterans;
- An active TWU Student Veterans Association.
For more information on the list of 2016 Military Friendly Schools, visit www.militaryfriendly.com.
This national recognition comes as TWU plans a full week of events to celebrate veterans:
- U.S. flags all around campus in recognition of TWU Veterans and their service;
- Veteran students, faculty and staff will be treated to a free lunch from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 10 in the Student Union Underground. Lunch is courtesy of the TWU Campus Alliance for Resource Education (CARE);
- Denton County Veterans Services, in partnership with TWU CARE will host Veterans Day on the Square, a special ceremony to honor veterans. The event is scheduled from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 11 on the historic square in downtown Denton;
- A Veterans Coffee Stop will be held from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 12 in the Veteran Students’ Center, located on the first floor of Jones Hall;
- TWU Vet Zone training to understand the needs and support the success of student veterans. The training is scheduled from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., Friday, Nov. 13 in room 113 of the Student Union. To attend, register via www.surveymonkey.com/r/VetZoneFA15.