If you are interested in pursuing a music degree at Texas Woman’s University, you will need to complete an application as well as an entrance audition. You also may choose to compete for a number of scholarships that are available to new and transferring music students each year. These are awarded based on musical excellence, as verified through a performance audition or music theory/sight singing assessment, and are supported by teacher recommendations.
- Fill out the Music Entrance and Scholarship Audition Application Form and submit online.
Please fill out the form completely before submitting. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Apply to Texas Woman’s University through the TWU Office of Admissions.
If you have been offered a music scholarship, you may not be awarded the scholarship until you have been accepted for admission into the university.
- A letter of recommendation must be emailed from your current private teacher or ensemble director to email@example.com and received prior to the audition.
- Audition dates for the upcoming school year are January 20, February 10, March 3 and April 14 of 2018.
- Your total audition performance time will average 7–10 minutes in length.
- Singers should memorize two contrasting pieces from vocal literature of the classical genre.
- Instrumentalists should prepare a selection from the standard repertoire for your instrument. Audition may include scales and sight reading.
- Pianists should perform pieces representing at least two different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century).
- A live audition is preferred, but a high-quality DVD may be sent to Texas Woman’s University, P.O. Box 425768, Denton, TX 76204-5768 and marked “Attention: Entrance Audition” OR online links may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for receipt of audition video is February 20, 2018.
- Transfer students:
- If your performance audition time is before 3 p.m., plan to stay approximately 1 hour afterwards for a music theory/sight singing assessment.
- If your audition time is 3 p.m. or later, report for the music theory/sight singing assessment 90 minutes prior to their audition.
- First-time in college (FTIC) students:
- If your performance audition time is before 3 p.m., plan to stay approximately 30 minutes afterwards for a music theory/sight singing assessment.
- If your audition time is 3 p.m. or later, report for the music theory/sight singing assessment 60 minutes prior to their audition.
- Graduate students:
- Placement exams in music history and music theory are given to all graduate music majors prior to the beginning of both the Fall and Spring semesters, during the week preceding the start of classes.
- Review our Graduate/Transfer Theory Placement Exam Guide (pdf).
- Review our Graduate/Transfer Theory Placement Exam Dictation Exercises.
- Review our Graduate Music History Placement Exam Guide (pdf).
If you are a graduate student interested in applying for a graduate assistantship, visit our Graduate Assistantships page to apply or learn more.
For additional information about our application, audition or placement process, contact our office at email@example.com or at 940-898-2514.