Jazz Band Auditions
How to Audition
Jazz band auditions will be held the first week of classes on Monday, August 27. Signups are posted outside Dr. Biggers’ office (Room 204)
Step 1: Sign Up for Your Audition
Sign up for an audition time on the board outside Dr. Biggers’ office (Room 204). If you cannot make any of the times listed or would like additional assistance signing up, please email Phil Sutherland, at email@example.com.
Step 2: Prepare for Your Audition
All jazz auditions will be held in Dr. Biggers' office (Room 204).
- All Saxophones, Trumpets, Trombones, Bass, Piano and Vibes:
- Prepare the provided excerpts below.
- Chromatic scale – lowest note to the highest note you can comfortably play in a swing style at 96 bpm.
- Improvisation – Play along with Aebersold Book, Vol. #25 All-Time Standards “A Foggy Day”
- 16 bars of the following styles:
- Bossa Nova
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled audition to fill out a Band Audition Form.
All audition excerpts for each instrument are available in pdf format below. Music will be provided at the audition, or you may bring your own copy.
After the Audition
Audition results will be posted by the end of the first week of classes. The music office will handle all necessary schedule changes resulting from band placements during the first week of classes.
There is currently one jazz big band at TWU. All bands are open to all students at the university.
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Band||Course Number||Meeting Time|
|Jazz Ensemble||MU 3571
Page last updated 2:31 PM, August 2, 2018