Concert Band Auditions
How to Audition
We hold concert band auditions the week before each semester begins. Please arrange to be on campus the week before your first day of classes.
Step 1: Sign Up for Your Audition
Step 2: Prepare for Your Audition
All instrumental auditions will be blind (meaning the judges will not see you).
- Please prepare all of the required excerpts for your instrument.
- All flutes will have a primary audition on flute, oboes on oboe, clarinets on Bb clarinet and saxes on alto saxophone. If you wish to be considered for piccolo, English horn, Eb clarinet, Bass clarinet, tenor or bari saxophone, please sign up for another time slot and prepare the extra etudes for those respective instruments.
- You will also be asked to perform 2 major scales (as much range as possible). Scales will be determined by the audition panel.
- There will also be a short sight-reading excerpt. You will have one minute to peruse before performing the excerpt.
- Auditions will be held in Room 317 of the Music Building on TWU's Denton campus on August 23 and 24.
- Arrive a little early to fill out a Band Audition Form.
All audition excerpts for each instrument are available in pdf format below. Music will be provided at the audition, or you may bring your own copy.
- English Horn
- Bb Clarinet
- Eb Clarinet/Bass Clarinet
- Alto Saxophone
- Tenor Sax/Bari Sax
- Bass Trombone
After the Audition
Audition results will be posted by the end of the day Saturday, August 25. The music office will handle all necessary schedule changes resulting from band placements during the first week of classes.
There are currently two concert bands at TWU. All bands are open to all students at the university. No auditions are necessary for the University Band (unless you are a music major). Once you audition, you will be placed in the best group for you.
scroll to see the full table⇨
|Band||Course Number||Meeting Time|
|Wind Symphony||MU 3541
|University Band||MU 3611||Monday/Wednesday
Page last updated 8:21 AM, August 6, 2018