If you are interested in pursuing a music degree at Texas Woman’s University, you will need to complete an application as well as an entrance audition. You also may choose to compete for a number of scholarships that are available to new and transferring music students each year. These are awarded based on musical excellence, as verified through a performance audition or music theory/sight singing assessment, and are supported by teacher recommendations.
- Fill out the Music Entrance and Scholarship Audition Application Form and submit online.
Please fill out the form completely before submitting. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Apply to Texas Woman’s University through the TWU Office of Admissions.
If you have been offered a music scholarship, you may not be awarded the scholarship until you have been accepted for admission into the university.
- A letter of recommendation must be emailed from your current private teacher or ensemble director to firstname.lastname@example.org and received prior to the audition.
- Spring 2018 entrance auditions will take place on November 18, 2017 (Spring entrance only).
- Audition dates for the upcoming school year are January 20, February 10, March 3 and April 14 of 2018 (Fall entrance auditions only).
- Your total audition performance time will average 7–10 minutes in length.
- Singers should memorize two contrasting pieces from vocal literature of the classical genre.
- Instrumentalists should prepare a selection from the standard repertoire for your instrument. Audition may include scales and sight reading.
- Pianists should perform pieces representing at least two different style periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century).
- A live audition is preferred, but a high-quality DVD may be sent to Texas Woman’s University, P.O. Box 425768, Denton, TX 76204-5768 and marked “Attention: Entrance Audition” OR online links may be emailed to email@example.com. Deadline for receipt of audition video is February 20, 2018.
- Transfer and graduate students:
- If your performance audition time is before 3 p.m., plan to stay approximately 1 hour afterwards for a music theory/sight singing assessment.
- If your audition time is 3 p.m. or later, report for the music theory/sight singing assessment 90 minutes prior to their audition.
- First-time in college (FTIC) students:
- If your performance audition time is before 3 p.m., plan to stay approximately 30 minutes afterwards for a music theory/sight singing assessment.
- If your audition time is 3 p.m. or later, report for the music theory/sight singing assessment 60 minutes prior to their audition.
- Placement exams in music history and music theory are given to all graduate and transfer music majors prior to the beginning of both the Fall and Spring semesters, during the week preceding the start of classes.
- Any incoming FTIC students who have not yet taken a theory placement exam must see Paul Thomas, PhD, on Thursday, August 24. He will be in his office, Room 100, from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- If you need to take either of these exams, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your attendance.
- Review our Graduate/Transfer Theory Placement Exam Guide (pdf).
- Review our Graduate/Transfer Theory Placement Exam Dictation Exercises.
For additional information about our application, audition or placement process, contact our office at email@example.com.