Why do you need a will?
You do not need to be old or sick to need a will. It is a document that protects your family and those you love.
- Without a Will, State Law governs who gets your property
- Without a Will, your family may need to have a court Determine Heirship in your estate, which can be expensive
- With a Will, you decide who gets your property and who handles the estate
- With a Will, you protect your family from expensive proceedings caused by death without a Will
- A Will protects your family whenever you die
- A Will does not mean you are planning to die soon
- At Student Legal Services Wills for TWU students are Free!
Why do you need a power of attorney?
A Power of Attorney gives someone you trust the authority to make decisions for you when needed.
- Once you are 18, another person cannot make medical and property decisions for you without proper authority
- If you become incapacitated, Powers of Attorney made before your incapacity can allow someone you designated to make medical and property decisions for you
- If you want someone to sell property for you, it may require a Power of Attorney to show that the person has the authority to sell it
- At Student Legal Services Powers of Attorney for TWU students are Free!
Page last updated 4:25 PM, March 21, 2017