International students may obtain a Texas Drivers License while studying at TWU
Driver's License Information Location (Texas Department of Public Safety)
820 North Loop 288, Denton, Texas (near University Drive/Highway 380 and Loop 288)
Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday through Friday; closed holidays
Take: Take your VISA, Passport, Social Security Card, Current I-20, TWU Photo ID and Letter Request Form letter.
If you have never had a driver's license before in your own country or in the United States:
You must get a Driver's License Permit (good for one year) by first taking the written test (no appointment is necessary), which is available in English and Spanish.
- After passing the written test, and after practicing your driving with a licensed driver, you can make appointment for the driving test.
- To take the driving test, you must make an appointment the morning of the same day you want to take the driving test. Call 940-484-666 between 8 and 8:15am, or to go to the Driver's License Office and wait in line between 7:45 and 8am.
If you already have an international driver's license, or a driver's license from your own country, it is good for one year after your arrival in the United States; after that time you should:
Take the written test first . . . after passing the written test, then
- Make an appointment and take the driving test
- Take your VISA, Passport, Social Security Card, Current I-20, TWU Photo ID and Letter Request Form letter.
If you already have a driver's license from another state in the United States, it is good for only 30 days in the state of Texas; after that you should go to the Driver's License office and:
You must show that your car's registration has been transferred from the other state to Texas (a Texas registration receipt). You can take care of this at 1505 E. McKinney, Denton, Texas (the Denton County Tax Office). If you are in Houston or Dallas, please ask the Student Life Coordinator or the International Education Office.
- You must show proof of car insurance that meets Texas requirement
- You must surrender (give them) your out of state license
- Take your VISA, Passport, Social Security Card, Current I-20 and Letter Request Form letter
After all the steps are complete, the Driver's License office will issue you a state of Texas driver's license.
For more complete information check out the website of the Driver's License Office.