Ibid. A Student History Journal Volume 9 Spring 2016
Table of Contents
Valentine J. Belfiglio Prize Winners
Awarded by the Student Editorial Board, the Valentine J. Belfiglio Paper Prize recognizes the finest papers submitted to the journal in the calendar year. Typically, awarded to two papers, this award is a highly coveted prize. Named for Cornaro Professor of Government, Valentine J. Belfiglio, Ph.D., the award honors the professor’s commitment to academic writing and scholarly excellence.
- Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas (pdf)
- The 1950s Cold War Housewife and Tupperware... (pdf)
Living History Community College Essay Contest Winners
In 2016, the Eta Nu Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta sponsored the Living History Essay Contest for community college students. Featured in introductory history courses across North Texas, this contest asked community college students to interview a friend or family member and write an essay describing how their subject experienced a specific event or moment in modern American history. Four winners, selected by the editorial board, received cash prizes, recognition at the annual History and Government banquet and publication in this journal.
- Ellen Dibler: A Life of Impossibilities (pdf)
- Wise Words from Grandma (pdf)
Robert G. Peterson
- A Second Chance (pdf)
- An Interview from the Pacific: Documenting a Disappearing Generation (pdf)
Forum: Material Culture
Using lists of household possessions contained in probate inventories, these essays expand our understanding of everyday life in colonial America.
- A Study of Colonial Life through Probate Inventories (pdf)
Valeria M. Estrada
- Checking the Record: An Analysis of 17th century Probate Inventories... (pdf)
- The Expression of Gentility in Colonial America (pdf)
Ibid. Volume 9 Essays
- The History and Importance of the Roman Bath (pdf)
- National Anxiety and Religion: Transitional Captivity Narratives... (pdf)
- Caspar David Friedrich and the 20th Century (pdf)
- Carlos Marcello and the Sicilian Mafia in the U.S. (pdf)
- Left Off the Podium... (pdf)
Forum: Texas History
For the first time in its nine year history, Ibid. is delighted to feature a section of essays on the diverse history of our state.
- Flood Waters, Thirst, and Drowning Mccurley’s Prairie (pdf)
Julie Stowe Mathews
- Hernandez v. Texas: The Fight for Mexican American Rights (pdf)
Lucas Enrique Espinoza and Luis Enrique Espinoza
Page last updated 2:43 PM, May 3, 2017