Ibid. A Student History Journal Volume 7 Spring 2014
Table of Contents
Valentine J. Belfiglio Prize Winners
Awarded by the Student Editorial Board, the Valentine J. Belfiglio Paper Prize recognizes the finest papers submitted to the journal in the calendar year. Typically, awarded to two papers, this award is a highly coveted prize. Named for Cornaro Professor of Government, Valentine J. Belfiglio, Ph.D., the award honors the professor’s commitment to academic writing and scholarly excellence.
Northeast Texas Regional Conference Prize Winners
Held on TWU's campus, the 2014 Northeast Texas Regional Phi Alpha Theta History Conference brought together more than 110 participants from 27 different colleges and universities. The conference featured 73 paper presentations, a plenary address by Phi Alpha Theta Executive Director Graydon Tunstall and a special performance of Early American shape note singing. As at all Phi Alpha Theta regional conferences, awards were presented to the top undergraduate and graduate papers. For the first time in its history, Ibid. featured a small selection of top-winning papers from the regional conference.
- Deep Ellum: Deep Texas Blues (pdf)
- Justice, Southern Style: The Kidnap and Murder of Mack Charles Parker (pdf)
Living History Community College Essay Contest Winners
In 2014, the Eta Nu Chapter of Phi Alpha Theta partnered with local community colleges to launch the Living History Essay Contest. Featured in introductory history courses across North Texas, this contest asked community college students to interview a friend or family member and to write an essay describing how their subject experienced a specific event or moment in modern American history. Two winners, selected by the editorial board, received cash prizes, recognition at the annual History and Government banquet and publication in this journal.
Ibid. Volume 7 Essays
- From Dust to Man to Son of God... (pdf)
- Enlightened Sinner or Hopeless Heathen... (pdf)
Alexis M. Milmine
- Africa Jezebel: Myth Formation and Stereotypes of Black Female Promiscuity...
Tomasz G. Granowski
- The Coup Between Rabit and Tseg'sgin'... (pdf)
Karen L. Milmine
- An Olive Branch in Appalachia: The Integration of the Banjo... (pdf)
- Finding a Home: Hungarian Cistercian Refugee's Journey to Irving, Texas (pdf)
- Civil Defense in Holy Matrimony... (pdf)
Forum: Modern Art History
Ibid. is delighted to feature the work of art historians Alicia Berdan and Alexandra Cassar in its inaugural “Forum” department. Berdan and Cassar’s complementary essays do much to further our understanding of the artistic process, and indeed the development of important sub genres of modern art, in the early 20th century.
- Albert Gleizes: Cubism and Futurism (pdf)
- The Bull and the Horse: Looking at Two of Guernica's Figures... (pdf)
Trends in Historiography
- Romance and Writing: Interpreting the Lyric Domnas of Occitania (pdf)
Aubri E. Thurmond
Trends in Pedagogy
- Re-writing the Social Studies Curriculum in Texas...