Tutoring and Training
Mathematics and Technology Success Center
The Mathematics and Technology Success Center (MTSC), located on the TWU Denton Campus in MCL 307, is available to assist TWU students in reaching their educational goals in math and technology through technology programs and individual or group tutoring. Tutoring is provided for TWU students who are enrolled in math and technology courses or enrolled in any courses with math or technology components. They also tutor any statistics course and the statistical software: SAS and SPSS. For students that cannot come to campus, the MTSC also provides several online resources for math review, computer literacy and exam preparation.
OWLive - TWU Online Writing Lab Live
The Write Site has a program called Online Writing Lab Live (OWLive). Students can schedule live, online tutoring sessions with Write Site staff. OWLive combines audio, video, and chat for a synchronous online tutoring session. Like all Write Site services, OWLive is completely FREE. This service is only available during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The Write Site @ Night, located in the Pioneer Center for Student Excellence, Blagg-Huey Library, room 221 is available Sunday – Wednesday from 6 – 9 p.m. and is only for face-to-face appointments.
Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that provides tutoring in Mathematics (basic math through Calculus including Bilingual Math), Biology, Introduction to Human Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Accounting, Introduction to Finance, Statistics, Spanish, Writing and Microsoft Office 2010 programs. It is only available to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in at least one Distance Education course. Tutoring in some subjects is available 24/7. With Smarthinking you can:
- Connect with an e-structor and interact with a live tutor.
- Submit your writing for any class to their Online Writing Lab.
- Submit a question and receive a reply from a tutor.
- Use the iPad app to access live tutoring anytime and anywhere.
- Opt-in to text messaging for notification of the return of reviewed writing and for pre-scheduled appointment reminders.
- Speak voice-to-voice with your tutor using the voice-enabled whiteboard.
To access Smarthinking:
- Log-in to your Pioneer Portal Account.
- Click on "My Tools."
- Click on "Student Tools."
- Click on "Distance Education Tutoring."
Minimum Technology Requirements for Smarthinking:
- Operating System – Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac (10.4+), Google Chromium, iOS, Android
- Browser – Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 12.0+, Google Chrome and Safari 5.0+
- Memory – At least 1 GB RAM and a Pentium Dual-Core or faster processor
- Flash Player – Version 9.0.28+ [If you need to install Flash, go to www.adobe.com, and follow the instructions for the free download.]
- Internet Connection – 256 kbps or above
- Cookies/Java – Should be enabled. [If you need to install Java, go to www.java.com, and follow the instructions for the free download.]
- Popup Blockers – Must be disabled.