Help with Costs

Options for Assistance

Tonn Emergency Aid for Adults who have Aged Out of Foster Care

This is a financial assistance program for students who have aged out of Foster Care facing unforeseen financial emergencies and catastrophic events that may disrupt their education. Emergency funds are not intended to pay for routine expenses or be a consistent supplement to a student’s education funding. Students may only receive emergency funding once per semester, if approved for aid.

Examples of Emergencies

  • Significant uncovered medical expenses related to self or child.
  • Loss of housing due to natural disaster, fire, etc.
  • Homelessness
  • Inadequate food supply
  • Danger of having necessary utilities disrupted or cut off (electricity, water, etc.)

Emergency fund eligibility

To be eligible to apply for the Student Emergency Fund, you must:

  • Have aged out of Foster Care
  • Must plan on enrolling or have already enrolled the semester following the award period
  • Be registered for at least 9 credits in the semester in which the funds would apply.
  • Provide documentation of the emergency.
  • Be in good academic standing, with a minimum 2.0 GPA

Emergency fund application steps

  1. Complete the Request for the Tonn Emergency Aid Fund.
  2. The committee granting the award will respond to your request within three business days.

Page last updated 9:55 AM, May 30, 2017