Federal Stafford Loans
Subsidized Federal Stafford Student Loans
- Awarded to eligible students on the basis of documented financial need.
- These loans do not accrue interest during eligible in-school and grace periods.
- In most cases payments are not required as long as the student is enrolled at least half time.
- Effective July 1, 2012, this loan is no longer available to graduate students.
Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Student Loans
- Not limited to students with documented financial need.
- Interest begins to accrue when funds are disbursed.
- Repayment of principal and interest may be deferred until the student no longer meets enrollment requirements.
Maximum annual loan limits
|Borrower's Academic Level Classification||Dependent Student Sub & Unsub||Independent Student Sub||Independent Student Unsub|
|Graduate (effective July 1, 2012)||N/A||N/A||$20,500|
Aggregate Loan Limits
|Dependent Undergraduates||Subsidized & Unsubsidized (No more than $23,000 can be Subsidized)||$31,000|
|Independent Undergraduates||Subsidized only||$23,000|
|Independent Undergraduates||Subsidized & Unsubsidized||$57,500|
|Graduates||Subsidized only (includes undergraduate loans)||$65,500|
|Graduates||Subsidized & Unsubsidized (includes undergraduate loans)||$138,500|