Brigitte Vittrup, PhD
Professor of Early Childhood Development and Education
Interim Assistant Chair, Family Sciences
Office: WH 102-G
PhD, University of Texas at Austin, Developmental Psychology, Minor in Statistics
Racial socialization; children's racial attitudes; child discipline; media influences on children
Brigitte Vittrup’s background is in developmental psychology with a minor in statistics. She teaches courses in child development, research methods, and statistics. She is actively engaged in research projects dealing with child and family issues, including racial socialization, racial attitudes, child discipline, and media influences on children. Vittrup’s research has been featured in academic journals, as well as major news outlets including Washington Post, Newsweek, and NPR. In addition, she has presented her research findings to various audiences, including researchers, parents, lawyers, and early childhood professionals.
- Vittrup, B. (in press). Colorblind or color-conscious: White American mothers’ approaches to racial socialization. Journal of Family Issues.
- Alsabah, T., & Vittrup, B. (in press). The negative effects of insufficient support on Kuwaiti mothers of children with disabilities. Digest of Middle East Studies.
- Vittrup, B., & McClure, D. (in press). Barriers to childhood obesity prevention: Parental knowledge and attitudes. Pediatric Nursing.
- Vittrup, B. (2016). Early childhood teachers’ approaches to multicultural education and perceived barriers to disseminating anti-bias messages. Multicultural Education, 23(3-4), 37-41.
- Vittrup, B. (2016). Ethnic and racial identity development. In D. Couchenour & J. K. Chrisman (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Contemporary Early Childhood Education (pp. 549-550). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Vittrup, B., Snider, S., Rose, K., & Rippy, J. (2016). Parental perceptions of the role of media in their young children’s lives. Journal of Early Childhood Research, 14(1), 43-54.
- Vittrup, B. (2015, November). How to improve group work: Perspectives from students. Faculty Focus.
- Rose, K., Vittrup, B., & Leveridge, T. (2013). Parental decision making about technology and quality in child care programs, Child and Youth Care Forum, 42(5), 475-488.
Page last updated 9:44 AM, March 8, 2019