History of the University
Texas Woman’s University is a teaching and research institution emphasizing the liberal arts and specialized or professional studies. Established in 1901 by an act of the 27th Legislature as the Girls Industrial College, the institution began classes in 1903. TWU is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097; Telephone: 404-679-4501) to award baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees. The University is categorized as a Doctoral Research institution by the Carnegie Foundation. The graduate instructional programs of Texas Woman’s University are designated as Doctoral/professions dominant by the Carnegie Foundation, which means that TWU awards doctoral degrees in a range of fields with the majority in professions such as education and health professions.
In 1905 the Legislature changed the name to the College of Industrial Arts. The college grew in academic excellence, in size and scope, and in reputation. The rising academic qualifications of the faculty, the building of a substantial library and research and instructional facilities, and the increasing demand for graduate education for women led to the establishment of graduate studies at the college in 1930. In 1934 the name of the institution was changed to the Texas State College for Women to describe more accurately the scope of the school. Doctoral degrees were first awarded in 1953. Since 1957 the name has been Texas Woman’s University, reflecting its status as a major institution of higher learning.