International Dance Company
The Texas Woman's University International Dance Company (IDC), organized in 1978 by Professor Gladys Keeton, performs live in front of audiences across the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. Our repertory is constantly shifting and includes traditional and contemporary dance styles from Korea, the Caribbean, and West Africa, with the Mexican ballet folklórico as our mainstay.
Book Us for Your Next Event
When booking the IDC for your next event, you can expect an entertaining and well-rehearsed show tailored to suit your needs. While we do not require payment for our performances, we welcome donations to help us commission new dances, purchase costumes, and perform for audiences who otherwise would not have access to live dance.
Please be sure to provide the following for our performance:
- Green room
- Music system (indicate CD, Bluetooth, MP3 player with cord, etc.)
- Information about the stage size & condition
- Travel stipend if the performance is outside of Denton
For more information about booking the TWU IDC, please contact IDC@twu.edu.
Become a Company Member
International Dance Company is part of the department of Dance, but you do not have to be a dance major or minor to join. You do, however, have to be enrolled in a dance technique class as well as DNCE 1101 (fall) or DNCE 2101 (spring). IDC members are strongly encouraged to take DNCE 2191 or 3191 (Urban/Global Dance Practices). If you are not a dance major, you could also register for an intro level ballet, modern, jazz, or Zumba class (DNCE 1011, 1051, or 1061, 1081). To join, come to our first meeting of each semester.
As a member of the International Dance Company, you can expect to:
- gain extensive performance experience in a variety of dance styles. We perform an average of five times each semester, on and off campus.
- develop valuable leadership and dance skills.
- make important networking connections that may benefit your future career.
As a member, you will also be expected to:
- commit to attending 4 hours of rehearsal per week.
- arrive on time to rehearsals and performances, and rehearse as needed on your own in order to be prepared. Members who miss rehearsals may be recast at the director’s discretion.
- provide your own skin-colored spaghetti strap leotard, black bicycle-style shorts, eyeliner, red lipstick, hair net, bobby pins, hairspray, etc.
- act as an ambassador to the community, including prospective students.
For more information about IDC membership, please email IDC@twu.edu.