This new concentration includes online course options during the fall and spring semesters, with a two week in-residence intensive in the first summer, and a one week in-residence intensive during the second summer.
This concentration is intended to support the working dance educator who is currently teaching in K-12 settings, community college and universities, community centers or organizations, dance outreach programs, or other educational environments, and is intended to help students deepen their teaching practice through research. This program is open to Texas residents and non-Texas residents, and scholarships with in-state tuition are available for qualified applicants.
The following dance courses are part of this program (24 credits):
- Contemporary Contexts of Dance
- History and Cultural Study of Dance
- Pedagogical Foundations in Dance
- Summer Intensive Dance Technique
- Dance Culminating Project/Paper Proposal
- Dance Independent Study
- Dance Professional Paper I and II
Students will have the option of choosing four online education courses (12 credits) to support their research, such as:
- Foundations of Teaching and Learning
- Technology in Assessment and Instruction
- Assessment and Design
- Design and Management of Classroom Environment
- Curriculum Studies
- Diversity in the Classroom
If you are interested in this program, please contact: Dr. Ilana Morgan at 940.898.2003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are currently being accepted for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Applicants are invited to attend the on-campus audition on January 25th and 26th, 2018. This audition consists of a technique class, a teaching exercise, a tour of campus, and an interview. To register for this on-campus audition please contact Dr. Ilana Morgan at 940.898.2003 or email@example.com.
- To apply for TWU scholarships and in-state tuition waivers applicants must apply to the university and apply for scholarships by March 15, 2018.
- Applications will be evaluated as they are received until July 1, 2018, however if an application is received after March 15, 2018, the university cannot consider the applicant for scholarships.
To apply to the MA in Dance with a Concentration in Education:
- Apply for admission to TWU Graduate School through the TWU Admissions office.
- Hold an undergraduate degree in dance.
- Submit the following materials to the TWU Department of Dance:
- Department of Dance Graduate Application Information Form [pdf].
- A 300-500 word statement of interests and objectives which include:
- an indication of your professional goals;
- previous artistic, academic, and career experience related to these goals; and
- the importance of graduate study in the pursuit of your professional goals.
- A resume of dance, educational, teaching, and artistic experience.
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your teaching, and/or academic work.
- A one-page teaching philosophy.
- If the applicant is interested in attending the on-campus audition, please contact Dr. Ilana Morgan to register, otherwise please submit the following:
- A link to a video of the applicant dancing and/or teaching via Vimeo or Youtube. If the applicant submits a teaching video they should be dancing with their students for a significant portion of the video as well as instructing.
- An interview with Dept. of Dance Faculty. Applicants who do not attend the on-campus audition will be asked to schedule an interview once all application materials are received via Skype.
Please send all application materials listed above to the email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “MA with Concentration in Education – Application.”