Pre-Master's Leveling Courses for Speech-Language Pathology
If you plan to pursue your master’s degree in speech-language pathology (SLP) at TWU but have a bachelor’s degree in a field other than communication sciences and disorders, SLP or an equivalent, you will need to complete leveling courses prior to starting your graduate program.
Please note: Acceptance into/completion of the leveling coursework does not guarantee acceptance into TWU’s SLP master’s program.
About the program
- Offered only to individuals who plan to apply to the TWU SLP program.
- Includes seven online (not self-paced) undergraduate-level courses over three consecutive semesters beginning each spring
- Requires final exams to be taken in person. Students applying to the on-campus venue take their finals at TWU in Denton; students applying to the distance education venue take their finals at their local education service center
Applications are accepted each year between Aug. 15 and Oct. 1 only. NOTE: Because of the impact of Hurricane Harvey, the application deadline has been extended to Oct. 15 for this year only.
To be considered for acceptance into this program, you must:
- Apply to TWU as an undergraduate transfer, non-degree seeking student.
- Complete the Transfer Apply Texas application and select Communication Sciences as your first school program choice. On page 3 of the application (Educational Background), check the box for non-degree seeker.
- Disregard the email you receive from TWU Admissions Processing asking if you meant to select non-degree seeker.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Master's Leveling Program Application between Aug. 15 and Oct. 1. (Oct. 15 extended deadline for 2017)
- Submit a one-page letter of intent to the department.
- Submit two letters of recommendation to the department. (Use the form included in departmental application.)
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.25 (cumulative or last 60 hours).
Students must be accepted by both the university and the department. Department notices of acceptance will be emailed by mid-December.
|Semester||Course Number||Course Name|
|Spring||COMS 3063||Normal Speech and Language Development|
|Spring||COMS 3333||Phonetics, Phonology and Transcription|
|Spring||COMS 3553||Normal Language Development in School Age Children|
|Summer||COMS 2233||Anatomy and Physiology for Speech and Language|
|Fall||COMS 3503||Speech Disorders and Intervention|
|Fall||COMS 3563||Language Disorders and Intervention|
Comparable college leveling courses taken outside TWU should have equivalent content.
For More Information