Canvas Training – How it Works
We recommend that you attend the Canvas Training in the following order:
- Step 1: Canvas Overview – As the name suggests, this session provides a broad overview of what can be done in Canvas. This overview will provide information on features and orient you to the structure of Canvas.
- Step 2: Blackboard to Canvas Transfer – Once you have an understanding of what Canvas does, it's time to get to work! This is a hands-on training where you will be guided through the steps of how to transfer content from a Blackboard course shell into Canvas.
- Step 3: Course Management – Now that you are somewhat familiar with the functionality of Canvas and you know how to move your materials, it's time to learn how to manage your course. In this hands-on training, you'll learn how to create modules, groups, assignments, quizzes and rubrics, and how to use communication tools and the grade book.
Training will be offered in face-to-face and online formats. Registration is required for face-to-face training because space is limited. You will find a registration link below each training location. Registration will close the day before each training date or when the training is full.
The web-based training will be delivered through Blackboard Collaborate.
- Learn how to prepare your computer and interact during the training.
- Access the live training here, in Blackboard Collaborate. Please sign-in using your first and last names.
Denton - Canvas Overview (F2F)
- April 24 | 9 – 10:30 a.m. | ACT 501
Denton - Blackboard to Canvas Transfer (F2F)
- April 30 | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. | ACT 503
Course Management (Online)
Registration is not required. Join the live session.
- April 20 | 2 – 4 p.m.
The QuickStart sessions will be 30-minute web-based sessions on Canvas topics. Sessions will be delivered through Bb Collaborate and will be recorded. Registration is not required.
Canvas Training Options
Learn about Canvas training options that you can access to learn more about Canvas.
- April 26 | 9 – 9:30 a.m.
- May 16 | Time TBD
Customized Training and Consultations
If you would like to schedule a face-to-face training tailored for your department or program, contact TLT at 940-898-3409 or email.
If you need an individual consultation before, during or after the transition, you can meet in-person or virtually with an instructional designer.
Online Training Through Canvas
TWU purchased additional web-based training opportunities from Canvas. There are over 30 different topics that you can attend. Sessions are interactive, allow some hands-on experience, and are taught by Canvas trainers. These sessions will allow you to go into greater depth on a variety of topics and trainers will answer a number of questions in the sessions. Go to this Knowledge Base article and look under "Online Training Through Canvas" to learn more.