The Alumnae Association of the College of Industrial Arts was organized in 1905 to promote the University, to raise scholarship funds and to provide opportunities to current and former students and friends of the university for lifelong affiliation and volunteer partnership. The first alumni Beulah Kincaid of 1904, along with 9 graduates of 1905 saw the need for financial assistance for women to attend the school.
The university has grown and prospered, progressing from the Girls Industrial College, the College of Industrial Arts to Texas State College for Women to Texas Woman's University. The Association has also experienced change and commits to broadening its goals and objectives to better represent all the school's diverse backgrounds of all our graduates.
The TWU Alumni Assn. Board of Directors works diligently to promote and protect the long traditions and values of TWU. Today, our alumni are actively supporting and volunteering for our programs and events.
The key points of this partnership are:
- All graduates are considered members of our Association
- Donations are welcome and accepted, and no dues are required
- Chapters and other alumni groups will continue to exist and be supported by TWU AA
- Current Board members will provide leadership for the new structure
- TWU AA may retain a physical presence on the campus, i.e., continuation of the current location on University Drive or other space as yet undecided
- TWU will provide staff support and resources to the Association through the TWU Office of Alumni Relations and other entities
- The TWU Foundation will accept and issue receipts for all donations made to the Association and serve as the fiscal agent to all funds including investments.
- The Foundation will fulfill reporting requirements to the IRS, donors, and the Association
- TWU AA will retain responsibility for the administration and distribution of donations directed to the Association
- All donor directives will be honored
- To ensure the Association assets are protected, we now have a Memorandum of Understanding with the TWU Foundation, and the Memorandum is dated April 12, 2016
- TWU AA will retain one seat on the Foundation Board of Directors as a full voting member
As a result of the changes listed above, the name changed from the TWU FSA to the TWU Alumni Association. At the Annual Business Meeting on April 16, 2016, this resolution was presented and seconded; the vote was unanimous in favor of the name change. Appropriate paper work was filed with the State of Texas. The revision of the by-laws was mailed to the membership and approved as of August 1, 2016.
“To the Texas Woman’s University; forever to be true,
For everything you stand for, Maroon & White to you.
The friends we make while learning here;
Will last our whole lives through,
To the students and our School, we pledge ourselves anew.”
- Jane Ward Pool, Class of 1946