Become a Participant
The Alternative Breaks experience is transformational beyond words. Participants return from their trips with a commitment to service and an education that one cannot gain in the same way inside the classroom. Each immersion experience dives deeply into learning about and engaging in a specific social issue. Participants are encouraged to look closely at the root causes and ask questions about how to address them in the context of social change. The program is designed so that the knowledge and experience gained by the students can be applied to a local setting upon return.
To Become a Participant:
Apply! The application requires basic contact and health information, responses to short essay questions, and a list of trips on which you want to participate, ranked in order of desirability. Your application will be reviewed as part of the participant selection process. Applications for the Alternative Spring Break trip are due Wednesday, October 30.
Get accepted! The participant selection process will occur Thursday - Friday, October 31 and November 1 and all participants will be notified of their application status no later than Monday, November 4. *If you are selected to be a trip alternate, you will be notified of open spots as they arise.
Once a participant:
1. Review the participant orientation packet and Alternative Breaks policies.
2. Attend the official welcome orientation for Alternative Breaks.
3. Complete and sign a contract and waiver.
3. Submit a copy of your passport and proof of international insurance (only if participating on an international trip.)
*For more information on AB policies and the paperwork required of you as a participant, read the “Policies & Forms” section.
4. Pay your deposit at the Center for Student Development. This secures your spot on the trip and is non-refundable.
*varies based on which trip you're accepted into.
page last updated 3/5/2014 10:23 AM