New Core Course Approval Process – Full Review
- Be sure the course has been approved or is in the process of being approved for TWU curriculum inventory by the University Curriculum Committee.
- Review the “Educational Objectives” for global perspectives or the core area in which you wish to have a course included. These are available online in the Core Curriculum area of the Academic Affairs website.
The core areas include:
- natural sciences
- humanities & visual and performing arts
- social sciences
- multicultural women’s studies
Global perspectives courses must also be approved by the Undergraduate Council.
- Prepare a syllabus that shows how the educational outcomes for the core area will be taught and tested. IF DESIRED, send the proposed syllabus for preview to Dr. Barbara Lerner.
- Compose a letter stating which core area or global perspectives the course is proposed for and describing how the course provides clear evidence that educational outcomes are being taught and tested and evidence of instruction in core’s basic intellectual competencies.
- Send copies of the letter and proposed syllabus to the Office of Undergraduate Studies & Academic Partnerships (Dr. Lerner's office) for consideration by the Undergraduate Council.
- Deadlines for Approval
- Aug. 15 for review in Sept. meeting and inclusion in the summer or fall class schedule
- Sept. 15 for review in Oct. meeting and inclusion in the summer or fall class schedule
- Oct. 15 for review in Nov. meeting and inclusion in the summer or fall class schedule
- Nov. 15 for review in Jan. meeting and inclusion in the spring class schedule
- Jan. 15 for review in Feb. meeting and inclusion in the spring class schedule
Note that courses must be approved for the core or global perspectives before they can be listed in as meeting core requirements. For example, to be included in the Fall list of courses as core, a course would have to be submitted for approval by November 15 (discussion at January meeting) to meet the University Scheduling deadline of early February.
Core designation will only be updated in the undergraduate catalog every two years.
- Criteria for Approval
- Clear evidence that educational outcomes are being taught and tested
- Schedule of activities that demonstrates adequate time devoted to teaching and testing the outcomes
- Evidence of instruction in core’s basic intellectual competencies in core courses
- Compliance with TWU Minimum Syllabus requirements.
page last updated 10/11/2016 12:25 PM