1903 — The first building, now known as Old Main, was constructed on campus.
1904 — First graduating class with one graduate, Beulah Kincaid.
1905 — The college’s name is changed to the College of Industrial Arts (CIA).
1910 — CIA becomes the first institution of higher learning to establish and maintain a department of music.
1915 — The first bachelor’s degrees are awarded at CIA.
1917 — The first kindergarten at a public institution is established at CIA.
1923 — CIA becomes an accredited member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
1930 — Graduate studies are established at the college.
1934 — The college’s name changes to Texas State College for Women.
1953 — The first doctoral degrees are awarded at TSCW.
1954 — The college’s nursing program begins in Dallas at Parkland Hospital.
1957 — The college’s name changes to Texas Woman’s University.
1960 — The TWU Institute of Health Sciences-Houston Center opens in the Texas Medical Center.
1966 — The TWU Institute of Health Sciences-Dallas Center opens near Parkland Hospital.
1972 — Men are admitted into TWU’s graduate programs and undergraduate and graduate health sciences professions programs in Denton, Dallas and Houston.
1976 — Mary Evelyn Blagg Huey becomes the first woman president of TWU.
1977 — TWU opens the Presbyterian campus, the university’s second clinical center in Dallas.
1986 — The Mary Evelyn Blagg Huey Library opens on the Denton campus.
1992 — The TWU Stroke Center-Dallas is established to provide treatment and training in neurological rehabilitation specifically for stroke patients.
1994 — Men are admitted to all undergraduate degree programs at TWU.
2002 — The TWU soccer team begins its inaugural season in the fall, joining basketball, gymnastics, softball and volleyball.
2004 — TWU launches G-Force, a program aimed at increasing higher education enrollment for first-generation students. The first Go-Center — a physical space in a high school that offers admission and financial aid application assistance and other information — opened in spring 2005.
2006 — The new, state-of-the-art TWU Houston Center opens at the southern gateway to the Texas Medical Center.
2007 — The new Redbud Theater Complex opens on the northwest side of Hubbard Hall.
2008 — The TWU gymnastics team wins its ninth USA Gymnastics Collegiate National Championship.
2009-10 — TWU celebrates a Decade of Achievement, marking 10 years of student, faculty and staff accomplishments; academic innovations; enrollment growth; technological advances; and transformed facilities.
2010-11 — The TWU basketball team captures the university’s first-ever Lone Star Conference Championship and advances to the NCAA Tournament.
2011 — The TWU T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Sciences-Dallas Center opens, combining the university’s Parkland and Presbyterian centers at the Parkland site. The Denton campus sees the opening of two new buildings: the Ann Stuart Science Complex, named for TWU Chancellor Ann Stuart, and the Fitness and Recreation Center.
2012 — The university launches its mobile website, TWU Mobile, in January.
House Bill 35, which created a public college for women in Texas, passed in 1901 by a narrow margin. It had received tie votes in both houses. The presiding officers of the House and Senate had cast the deciding votes, sending the matter to the governor's office for approval. Gov. Joseph Sayers signed the bill into law on April 6, 1901.
A previous effort to establish a public college for women in Texas had failed in the preceding session.
In 1902, Gov. Sayers appointed the first board of regents, which included three women — Helen Stoddard, Mary Eleanor Brackenridge and Mrs. Cone Johnson.
In January 1903, Cree T. Work assumed his duties as the first president of the college.
The fear that the college would prepare women for lucrative work was one of the reasons the Legislature set forth an explicit curriculum in HB 35, one that called for instruction in traditional subjects of women's work, including needlework, care of children, nursing and bookkeeping. To survive, the college had to remain faithful to the mandate, but the early leadership was determined that the college not become a trade school. Instead, the regents and President Work included traditional college subjects such as mathematics, history, economics and the sciences.
The first students began attending classes on Sept. 23, 1903.
Rules were strict regarding behavior of the boarding students. They had to be in bed, asleep, by 10:30 p.m. They could not go out in the evening at all, except to church or to a college-sanctioned activity. Company was allowed only on Sunday evenings, and no gentleman could call on a student unless written consent of her parents was on file in the president's office.
The Legislature had not provided any money for dormitories. A society of Methodist women built the first dormitory and opened its doors in 1907. A dorm paid for by state tax dollars opened in 1908.
On June 12, 1904, Beulah Kincaid became the first student to graduate from the college. She also became the founder of the Alumnae Association.
page last updated 11/30/2015 9:43 AM