TWU to recognize students, faculty and staff at Honors Convocation
DENTON — Texas Woman’s University will honor students, faculty and staff in a celebration of excellence during Honors Convocation on Thursday, April 22. Ceremonies begin at 10 a.m. in the Margo Jones Performance Hall, located at Oakland and Sawyer streets on TWU’s Denton campus.
Outstanding Senior Awards, which are based on academic excellence and involvement in extracurricular activities, will be presented to:
• Rae Lynn McFarlin of Bonham — a chemistry and mathematics major;
• Rachel Zimmerman of Tulsa, Okla. — a human biology major.
Hannah Schmidt, a fashion design major from Kissimmee, Fla., will receive the Pauline Bishop Leman Memorial Award for outstanding artistic achievement.
Outstanding Graduate Student Awards will be presented to:
• Nicolle Valerie Fernandes of Vasco, India — a doctoral candidate in nutrition;
• Jan Lamarche Zdanuk of Fort Worth — a doctoral candidate in nursing science.
The Graduate Council Award for Exceptional, Original Scholarship will be presented to:
• Somesree Ghoshmitra of Calcutta, India — a doctoral candidate in molecular biology;
• Sinju Sundaresan of Kolkata, India — a doctoral candidate in nutrition.
TWU faculty receiving recognition are:
• Dr. Phyllis Bridges, professor of English, speech and foreign languages — the Cornaro Award;
• Dr. Katherine Landdeck, associate professor of history and government, and Dr. Lisa Silliman-French, associate professor of kinesiology — the Mary Mason Lyon Award;
• Dr. Allen Waldo, professor of biology — the Humphries Award;
• Ms. Cathy Banks, senior lecturer of mathematics and computer science — Distinction in Teaching;
• Dr. Linda Caldwell, professor of dance, and Dr. Katherine Rose, assistant professor of early childhood development and education — Distinction in Distance Education;
• Dr. Vicki Zeigler, assistant professor of nursing — Distinction in Service;
• Dr. Cindy Gill, associate professor of communication sciences and disorders — Innovation in Academia.
TWU staff members receiving recognition are:
• Johnny Booker, security guard, Houston Center, and Grace Chalon, institutional effectiveness and research — Outstanding Achievement Awards;
• Sharon Saullo, office of the dean, College of Arts and Sciences — TWU Award of Excellence.
page updated 2/18/2014 11:35 AM