Home > Marketing
& Communication > News
donates quilt of Little Chapel-in-the-Woods to TWU
Photo credit: Meg Barry, TWU Former Students Association
Cut line: Bille Hubbard, right, and her husband George Hubbard
stand in front of the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods quilt Ms.
Hubbard donated to theTWU
Woman’s University alumna Billie Margaret Shewell Hubbard
of Krum recently donated a quilt of the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods
to the university. The large, quilted textile is currently
hanging in the TWU Blagg-Huey Library on the back wall of
the first floor.
The pictorial quilt incorporates approximately 9,800-square-inch
fabric squares machine-pieced together using the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods
counted cross stitch pattern, which was copyrighted in 1982,
as a guide. Highlights on trees, bushes, grasses, flowers,
etc. were achieved using iron-on appliqué, bias tube
appliqué, three dimensional fabric folding and multi-colored
The quilt, which
measures 95 by 93 inches, was commercially machine quilted
and bound at Linda’s Quilt Shop in Denton.
Ms. Hubbard began the project in January 1983 and, after several
revisions, completed the quilt in time to be displayed at
the 55th Homecoming dinner of the Class of 1951 in 2006.
Ms. Hubbard received
her bachelor’s degree from TWU, then known as the Texas
State College for Women, in 1951, and her master of arts in
clothing and costume design from TWU in 1985.
For more information
on the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, visit www.twu.edu/twunews/media_kit/little-chapel.htm.
Director of News and Information
Tel: (940) 898-3456