Texas Woman's University, with campuses in Denton, Dallas and Houstonskip to page content

Marketing & Communication


j TWU Home

Marketing and Communication
News Releases
TWU in the News
Media Kit
Photos
TWU Brags
Marketing Opportunities
Recruitment Enhancement Programs
Media Relations Policy
Banner/Marquee and Photo Release Forms
PowerPoint Templates
Poster Templates
Graduation Hometown Press Releases
Webspinners
Staff Directory

 


TWU Home > Marketing & Communication > News Releases

 

The Hoblitzelle Foundation contributes $500,000 to Texas Woman’s University

2/25/08


DALLAS — The Hoblitzelle Foundation has awarded $500,000 to Texas Woman’s University for its new T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Sciences-Dallas Center.

TWU’s new T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Sciences-Dallas Center combines TWU’s Parkland and Presbyterian sites into a dynamic campus-in-one building at the Parkland location.  Groundbreaking for the 190,000-square-foot facility is scheduled for 2009, with a planned opening of the building in 2011.

“The Hoblitzelle Foundation is renowned for its long and distinguished commitment to philanthropy for the health services and education,” TWU Chancellor and President Dr. Ann Stuart said. “TWU is deeply appreciative of this generous gift from the foundation, which will help us ensure that the citizens of Texas will be well cared for by the best professionals.  These funds are a valuable investment in our students and their role as future healthcare providers for the state.”

The new institute will allow TWU — already the state’s leading provider of new nurses and other healthcare professionals — to increase enrollment.  Incorporating industry-standard technology into classrooms and laboratories will enhance career preparation for students.  Bringing together TWU’s College of Nursing, the nationally recognized TWU Stroke Center and the university’s nationally ranked programs in occupational and physical therapy will facilitate the new model of educating together the disciplines needed for a team approach to patient care.

“The Hoblitzelle Foundation supports many of the healthcare education institutions in the Southwestern Medical District,” said Paul W. Harris, president and chief executive officer of the foundation.  “TWU’s nursing and other healthcare programs are a vital component in the array of medical institutions in the district, and it is important that we contribute at a significant level to the university’s campaign for a new building.”

Funding for the project is a public/private venture modeled after TWU’s success in building the new TWU Institute of Health Sciences-Houston Center, which opened in August 2006.  Chancellor Stuart is leading the $55.5 million campaign for the project, of which more than $42.6 million has been raised to date.

Major donors to the Dallas building campaign include: the T. Boone Pickens Foundation; the Simmons Family Foundation; the Hoblitzelle Foundation; the Sid W. Richardson Foundation; the Hillcrest Foundation; the Texas Woman’s University Foundation; the Amon G. Carter Foundation; the Tom A. Harris Fund, the Roberta Coke Camp Fund and the Basil Georges Fund of Communities Foundation of Texas; the Pollock Foundation; the Robert Tucker Hays Foundation; Mr. and Mrs. Jere W. Thompson; Mrs. Orien Woolf; Ann Stuart, Chancellor and President of TWU; the Abe Zale Foundation; and the James M. Collins Foundation.

For more information on TWU’s new T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Sciences-Dallas Center, visit www.twu.edu/dallascampus.

The Hoblitzelle Foundation was established by Karl and Esther Hoblitzelle in 1942.  The foundation makes grants in the areas of medical research and health and human services, including programs targeting high-risk youth and families, as well as for educational, cultural and civic improvement programs.

Karl Hoblitzelle was born in St. Louis during the late 19th Century. After serving as an event manager at the St. Louis World's Fair, he came to Dallas, Texas in 1903, and built a chain of vaudeville theaters.  These auditoriums were soon transformed into movie houses, and the success of Mr. Hoblitzelle's entertainment business created financial resources, which he invested in the growing oil and gas, real estate and banking industries in Texas.  He married Esther Thomas in 1920, and both were active in the social, civic and cultural activities of Dallas.  Mrs. Hoblitzelle died unexpectedly in 1943, and Mr. Hoblitzelle lived until 1967.  During his lifetime, Mr. Hoblitzelle was primarily interested in agronomy, medical research and teaching, community affairs and education.


For more information on the Hoblitzelle Foundation, visit www.hoblitzelle.org.

 

###

 


Media Contact:

Amanda Simpson
Director of News and Information
Tel: (940) 898-3456
e-mail: asimpson1@twu.edu
 

Page last updated January 22, 2009

Office of Marketing & Communication
1215 Oakland St.
P.O. Box 425410
Denton, TX 76204-5410
Phone: (940) 898-3456 | Fax (940) 898-3463

TWU Homepage | A-Z Sitemap | Search the TWU site |  Accessibility Policy | Privacy Policy

Visit Request information