Home > Marketing
& Communication > News
Lillian Moore Bradshaw and The Stark Foundation as 2006 Founders’
Lillian Moore Bradshaw and The Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark
Foundation are the recipients of the 2006 Founders’
Award presented by Texas Woman's University, the TWU Foundation
and the Former Students Association of TWU.
The awards will
be presented at a luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Friday, Feb. 17 in
Hubbard Hall on TWU’s Denton campus. Tickets for the
event are $25 per person. Patron seats are available for $60.
Benefactor tables for eight are available for $500. Reservations
are required by Wednesday, Feb. 8, and may be made by calling
the TWU Office of Institutional Development at (940) 898-3863.
Lillian Moore Bradshaw
has been a generous supporter of Texas Woman’s University’s
School of Library and Information Studies for many years.
From 1987 to 2003, TWU hosted the Annual Lillian Bradshaw
Lecture, allowing TWU to bring outstanding national and international
scholars to the university for public lectures. In 2005, the
Lillian Bradshaw Endowed Chair in Library Science was established
at TWU with Dr. Robert S. Martin, former director of the National
Institute of Museum and Library Services, named to the position.
Mrs. Bradshaw is
a woman whose career has inspired professional librarianship
among her colleagues and students. She earned her bachelor’s
degree from Western Maryland College and her master’s
degree from Drexel University, where she later was honored
with the degree of Doctor of Letters. She was a librarian
at the Utica (N.Y.) Public Library and at the Enoch Pratt
Free Library in Baltimore, Md. In 1962 Mrs. Bradshaw became
the first woman in the United States to direct a major library
system when she was appointed the director of the Dallas Public
Library, a post she held until 1984. Her many contributions
to civic and professional associations included a term as
the American Library Association’s president in 1971.
The Nelda C. and
H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation and TWU have had a long educational
partnership. The late Mrs. Stark was an alumna, former regent
and long-time benefactor of the university. Mrs. Stark graduated
in 1930 from the College of Industrial Arts (now TWU) with
a bachelor’s degree in biology. In 1955, she was appointed
to the TWU Board of Regents. She served on the board until
1975, including six years as vice chair.
In 1957, she received
the first honorary degree ever awarded by TWU for “singularly
and exceptionally high civic and humanitarian achievements.”
In 1966, TWU regents named a new 21-story residence hall for
Mrs. Stark in recognition of her service and generosity to
the university. Her generous financial support for the university
included gifts for research and equipment, athletic scholarships,
building enhancements and an endowed fund.
In 2004 the Stark
Foundation made a $3 million gift toward TWU’s new $37
million, state-of-the-art Institute of Health Sciences –
Houston Center opening in fall 2006. TWU’s college of
nursing in Houston has been named the Nelda C. Stark College
of Nursing in recognition of Mrs. Stark’s long relationship
with the university.
As of Feb. 1, sponsors
of the Founders’ Award luncheon include: Bill DeBerry
Funeral Directors; BlueCross and BlueShield of Texas; Chancellor
and President, TWU; City of Denton; Coca-Cola Bottling Company
of North Texas; DATCU; Denton Record-Chronicle; First State
Bank; First United Bank & Trust; The Morrison Milling
Company; Northstar Bank of Texas; Presbyterian Hospital of
Denton; PointBank; Public Strategies, Inc.; Ramey & King
Insurance; TexasBank; Texas Instruments; TWU Former Students
Association; Verizon; and Ann Williams, TWU Regent.
Day was known as Pancake Night when the Ex-Students Association
started it in 1924. When the school was renamed Texas State
College for Women in 1936, the event was given its present
The first Founders’ Awards were presented in 1998 to
honor organizations and individuals who have supported TWU.
Amanda McKeen Simpson
Director of News and Information
Tel: (940) 898-3456