Texas Woman's University, with campuses in Denton, Dallas and Houstonskip to page content

Marketing & Communication


j TWU Home

Marketing and Communication
News Releases
TWU in the News
Media Kit
Photos
TWU Brags
Marketing Opportunities
Recruitment Enhancement Programs
Media Relations Policy
Banner/Marquee and Photo Release Forms
PowerPoint Templates
Poster Templates
Graduation Hometown Press Releases
Webspinners
Staff Directory

 


TWU Home > Marketing & Communication > News Releases

Cullen Trust for Higher Education contributes $500,000 toward construction of TWU’s new Houston campus in the Texas Medical Center

05/08/06


HOUSTON – The Cullen Trust for Higher Education has awarded $500,000 to Texas Woman’s University to help cover construction costs for the new TWU Institute of Health Sciences – Houston Center opening in August 2006.

This is the third gift to TWU for this project by The Cullen Foundation and its trusts. Previously, The Cullen Trust for Health Care gave $500,000 for nursing technology and The Cullen Foundation contributed $200,000 toward construction costs of the new TWU Institute of Health Sciences — Houston Center.

“These funds are a valuable investment in our students and their future as healthcare providers in Texas,” said TWU Chancellor and President Dr. Ann Stuart. “We are honored by the tremendous support we have received from the Cullen family.”


Corbin J. Robertson, Jr., Chair of The Cullen Trust for Higher Education said, “I am happy to support this great institution that trains so many healthcare professionals. Texas Woman’s University is one of the outstanding Texas Medical Center institutions making a difference in the lives of so many patients.”

TWU has raised more than $39 million toward a $45 million goal for construction and programming costs for the new Houston campus, which is being built without the use of state dollars. The project is being funded through innovative public-private partnerships within the Houston community and beyond. Other major donors include The Methodist Hospital, The Stark Foundation, The Houston Endowment, Memorial Hermann Healthcare System, The Brown Foundation and The Fondren Foundation.

TWU’s new Institute of Health Sciences – Houston Center is a 10-story, 202,000-square-foot “campus in one building” located at the southern gateway of the Texas Medical Center at the junction of South Main, Holcombe and Fannin streets. This state-of-the art facility has been designed to accommodate future enrollment growth of TWU’s Houston campus and will offer the latest technology available in healthcare education.

TWU established its current Houston campus in 1960 by expanding its nursing program from Denton/Dallas to the Texas Medical Center. Today, more than 1,200 students majoring in nursing, physical therapy, library science, business administration, healthcare administration, occupational therapy and nutrition are enrolled at TWU’s Institute for Health Sciences —Houston Center.

For more complete donor information, giving opportunities and up-to-date construction photos, visit www.twu.edu/houston/.

Hugh Roy Cullen and his wife Lillian created The Cullen Foundation in 1947. The Cullen Trust for Higher Education is one of three charitable trusts established by The Cullen Foundation in the 1970s to benefit education, the arts and health care in Texas, particularly in the greater Houston area.

###


For Further Information Contact:

Amanda McKeen Simpson
Director of News and Information
Tel: (940) 898-3456
e-mail: asimpson1@twu.edu
 

Page last updated January 22, 2009

Office of Marketing & Communication
1215 Oakland St.
P.O. Box 425410
Denton, TX 76204-5410
Phone: (940) 898-3456 | Fax (940) 898-3463

TWU Homepage | A-Z Sitemap | Search the TWU site |  Accessibility Policy | Privacy Policy

Visit Request information