skip to content

Adjacent to the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, the gardens were begun in 1930 as both a laboratory for biology students and an instructional and recreational center for all garden lovers. A shaded rock garden with benches and terraces of native woodbine sandstone was added in 1932 and continues to provide a quiet place for rest and relaxation. To the west of the rock garden is the Texas Pond, which not only takes the shape of the Lone Star State, but also features native vegetation.

Fountain at the TWU Gardens



Map Location

TWU Gardens Map

page updated 1/2/2013 4:49 PM