Professional Development Events
The Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT) will design workshops, on request, on topics related to teaching and learning using technology. In addition, we offer regularly scheduled workshops on a wide range of teaching and learning issues.
Save the Date – August 24, 2017; 8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Denton Campus
The Office of Teaching and Learning with Technology is looking for some informative and exciting presentation proposals focused on the topic of technology use in the face-to-face and online classrooms. We are now accepting presentation proposals for the concurrent sessions. The deadline to submit your proposal is Friday, June 30, at 5 p.m.
About Symposium Proposals
- Presentation length, including time for Q & A is 30 minutes.
- Presenters will have the opportunity to present under the following tracks:
- Teaching with classroom-based technology
- Teaching with online technology
- Research in teaching and learning with technology
- Creative uses of technology
- Student success
- You may submit more than one presentation proposal.
- Be prepared with the following information, before filling out the proposal submission form:
- Name and contact information of the primary presenter and any co-presenters
- Presentation track
- Equipment needs
- Presentation title
- Presentation abstract (50 words or less)
- Notification of proposal status will be on or before July 14.
- Use this form to submit your presentation proposal.
About the Teaching and Learning Symposium
The Teaching and Learning Symposium is a half-day event that gives the opportunity for the TWU Community to come together to share best practices in the areas of: teaching with classroom-based and online technology, research in teaching and learning with technology, creative uses of technology and student success.
- 8:30 a.m. – Check-in (ACT 2 Lobby)
- 9 – 9:30 a.m. – Opening Session (ACT 301; Videoconferenced to Dallas and Houston; rooms TBA)
- 9:45 – 10:15 a.m. – Concurrent Sessions 1
- 10:30 – 11 a.m. – Concurrent Sessions 2
- 11:15 – 11:45 a.m. – Concurrent Sessions 3
- 12 – 1 p.m. – Lunch (Provided; ACT 2 Lobby)
Please contact our office with any questions.
We look forward to receiving your proposal for the 12th Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium.
These workshops focus on the skills faculty need to teach and manage courses in Blackboard.
Location: ACT 603
- August 22 | 9 – 11 a.m. | Registration Deadline: August 21; Noon
- September 1 | 9 – 11 a.m. | Registration Deadline: August 28; Noon
- September 5 | 2 – 4 p.m. | Registration Deadline: September 1; Noon
These offerings, specifically for adjuncts and teaching assistants, focus on promising practices using Blackboard as the Instructor of Record. Topics covered in these two hour workshops include (but are not limited to):
- Posting content using a variety of tools
- Developing e-communication practices
- Designing and managing discussion, collaboration, and group work
- Organizing Grade Center
- Creating and managing assignments and assessments
Location: ACT 503
- August 23 | 9 – 11 a.m. | Registration Deadline: August 21; Noon
- August 29 | 4 – 6 p.m. | Registration Deadline: August 28; Noon
- September 5 | 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. | Registration Deadline: September 1; Noon
This workshop is designed to help graduate assistants communicate with students, facilitate discussions and group work, use the Grade Center, and track student participation and presence in Blackboard. Resources will provide information about web accessibility, student privacy, copyright protection, and TWU support services.
Location: ACT 503
- August 30 | 1:30 – 3 p.m. | Registration Deadline: August 28; Noon
- September 5 | 9 – 10:30 a.m. | Registration Deadline: September 1; Noon
These training sessions will demonstrate how to operate the classroom podium equipment, controlling audio and video settings, using the projector, accessing the document camera, and connecting personal portable devices.
- August 29 | 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. | Registration Deadline: August 28; Noon
- September 6 | 10 – 11 a.m. | Registration Deadline: September 1; Noon
Join us in a computer lab to participate, experiment, observe or practice using Blackboard. A facilitator will be there to address your specific questions and challenges. Registration is not required.
All Houston Open Labs will be from 12 – 1 p.m. at the TWU Institute of Health Sciences – Houston Center, Room 6112.
- August 29
- September 27
- October 30
All Dallas Open Labs will be at the TWU T. Boone Pickens Institute of Health Sciences – Dallas Center, Room 6700.
- September 8 | 12 – 1 p.m.
- October 2 | 3 – 4 p.m.
- October 31 | 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- December 1 | 2 – 3 p.m.
*Co-presented with the Office of Technology.
Page last updated 3:03 PM, June 14, 2017