Before You Begin
Depending on your version of Android and the type of device you are using, you may find the instructions below do not precisely match the screens you see when setting up your TWU email account. If you find that these are different from your device, please configure it based on the following information for Exchange:
• Email Address: <your Pioneer Portal username>@twu.edu
• Domain: faculty and staff use “fs”
• Username: Your Pioneer Portal username
• Exchange Server Address: owa.twu.edu
• Use Secure Connection (SSL): Yes, Always
• Synchronization: Automatic (Push)
• Send Email from this Account by Default: Select yes if you want email sent from your Android device to come from your TWU email account by default
Password: Pioneer Portal password
Use Secure Connection (SSL): Yes, Always
If you have problems configuring your TWU email on your Android device, please contact the Service Desk at 940-898-3971 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Configure Android for Google
Follow these instructions to sync your TWU Google Mail with your Android device.
Configure Android for Exchange
To set up your TWU email on your Android device, do the following:
1. Open Settings > Accounts & sync > Add Account.
2. Depending on your version and manufacturer; Select Corporate, Corporate Sync, Exchange Active Sync.
3. Enter your email address and password.
- Your email address is: [your Pioneer Portal username]@twu.edu
4. Press Next.
5. Enter your account information when prompted to do so.
- Enter owa.twu.edu in the Server field.
- Make sure there is a check mark next to Use secure connection (SSL).
6. Press Next.
7. You may receive a Remote security administration warning. The warning reads, “The server owa.twu.edu requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone. Do you wish to finish setting up this account?” If you receive this warning, select OK.
8. Select your account options.
- Email checking frequency: We recommend Automatic (Push). This means that email will be delivered to your device as soon as it is received by your Exchange account.
**Battery Life Notice: If you know that your TWU account has very heavy traffic, you may want to be careful about setting Automatic (Push); instead, you may want to set a more reasonable option, such as every 5 or 10 minutes. If you are not concerned about your battery (for instance, if you have multiple means of charging your phone), go ahead and use Push.
- Amount to synchronize: This setting determines how far back Exchange email and calendar items will be synced and saved locally on your device. We recommend using a minimum of 1 week.
- If you use your TWU email as your primary email account and want to use that account to send from your device by default, put a check mark next to “Send email from this account by default”.
- If you want to be notified when a new Exchange email arrives on your Android device, put a check mark next to Notify me when email arrives.
- If you want your Exchange contacts to be synced with your Android device, put a check mark next to Sync contacts from this account.
- If you want your Exchange calendar to be synced with your Android device, put a check mark next to Sync calendar from this account. (Android 2.1 does not offer this option.)
- Make sure Sync email from this account has a check mark next to it.
- If you want to automatically download attachments on your Android device when you are connected to wireless, such as "TWUnet," put a check mark next to Automatically download attachments when connected to Wi-Fi. You might want to skip this option if you receive large file attachments in email if you are concerned about storage space on your device.
9. Select Next.
10. You may be prompted to select required security settings at this time. If so, refer to Security Settings Update below. Otherwise, you will be prompted to select these settings after you complete setting up your account.
11. Complete the account setup
- Enter TWU Exchange in the “Give this account” a name field.
- Enter your full name in the “Your Name” field. This is how your name will be displayed on Exchange emails sent from your Android device.
12. Select Done.
Android is now configured for Exchange. Your Android device will begin syncing TWU email, calendar, and contact items from Exchange. This may take a few moments.
Security Settings Update
After configuring Android for Exchange, Android will display the following message:
Account "TWU Exchange" requires security settings update
You are required to act upon this message before you can use Exchange email or calendar. If you try to access your Exchange email before activating the required security changes, you will automatically be taken to the Update Security Settings screen (see below). Your Exchange calendar will not be available until you activate the required security changes.
To act upon this message, do the following:
1. Swipe down from the notification bar at the top of your screen to open the notifications screen.
- Note: If you try to access your Exchange email, you will automatically be taken to this screen.
2. Press the new notification labeled Update Security Settings.
3. The notification says, “Activate device administrator - The server owa.twu.edu requires that you allow it to remotely control some security features of your phone”. The following items are listed below this message. The wording of these items varies between carriers and versions of Android.
- Erase all data
- Set password rules / Limit password
- Monitor screen-unlock attempts / Watch login attempts
- Lock the screen / Force lock
- Set lock-screen password expiration
- Set storage encryption
4. Select Activate.
The security options shown above are handled by the Exchange server and are applied only at your request. For example, if you lose your Android device, you can request to have the device locked and have all data erased. These security options will never be used without your approval.
page last updated 11/18/2015 2:52 PM