New Student Orientation
Fall Orientation 2017
We are delighted you have chosen TWU as an "academic home" for the next few years while you augment your knowledge base and career path. Being part of the TWU family, we are confident this academic environment nestled in the midst of the Texas Medical Center will ignite your potential to be of greater service in the Health Science community.
New Student Guide
As you make preparations to begin classes at this Institute of Health Sciences, take the opportunity to read the New Student Guide. This small booklet introduces newcomers to TWU, and describes how operations unfold here at the Houston site.
Orientation Registration for Fall 2017
Orientation is structured specifically for individuals who have been accepted not only into TWU, but also into a specific academic program at the Houston site and will be starting classes in this stated semester. If this applies to you, please accept our invitation to REGISTER for ORIENTATION using this on-line form. More information about the various Orientations offered are noted below for your perusal. Questions can be directed to Deborah Unruh with the Office of Student Life at 713-794-2157 or email@example.com.
Orientation Opportunities for Fall 2017
- Orientation for International Students
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017; 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Please NOTE: International Students will be expected to attend both this mandatory Orientation plus one of the other general Orientations offered Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- General Graduate Student Orientation for M.O.T. and D.P.T. majors, Master of Science in Nutrition as well as PhD Nursing and DNP StudentsThursday, August 24th, 2017; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Please NOTE: Doctoral Nursing Orientation will conclude at 1:00 p.m.
- General Orientation for Undergraduate Nursing Students
Friday, August 25th, 2017; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Orientation for Evening and Weekend Students (EMBA, MHA, LIS, MS in Nursing including NP programs)
August 26th, 2017; 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Graduate Students of Executive Master of Business Administration, Health Care Administration, Library & Information Studies, as well as Master Nursing (including Nurse Practitioner) programs.
Tasks to consider before the initial day of classes include:
- pay tuition and class fees by 6:00 p.m. the Friday before that respective semester begins,
- register for classes on-line by 5:00 p.m. the Friday before that respective semester begins,
- speak one-on-one with staff in the Registrar’s Office (1st floor, Enrollment Services),
- inquire more about Financial Aid (1st floor, Enrollment Services),
- follow up with your academic advisor,
- obtain a TWU ID Badge (through Student Life, accomplished during Orientation)
- secure a locker (through Student Life),
- upload remaining immunization records to http://patient-twu.medicatconnect.com/
- review student health insurance possibilities (TWU has a relationship with Academic HealthPlans),
- purchase textbooks (many options online or at Follett UTSHC Nursing Bookstore),
- make arrangements for a parking contract &/or public transportation,
- explore METRO offerings (Q Card at half off traditional fare for full time enrolled students, Light Rail, Bus, Community Connector, STAR Vanpool and Carpool, Park & Ride),
- get familiar with the Texas Medical Center (optional tours of the TMC are given during Orientation and in the first few weeks of classes),
- sign up to receive notifications from Pioneer Alert, a system that can deliver emergency messages from our University Department of Public Safety (DPS) to campus personnel via text, email, phone (or campus computer for faculty/staff).
Spring 2018 Orientations
- International Student Orientation - Wednesday, January 10th, 2018.
- General Graduate Student Orientation for Master's of Science in Nutrition as well as PhD Nursing and DNP Students - Thursday, January 11th, 2018. Please be advised there is NO Orientation for D.P.T. and M.O.T. students in Spring. These programs have Fall admittance only.
- General Undergraduate Nursing Student Orientation - Friday, January 12th, 2018.
- Evening and Weekend Student Orientation - Saturday, January 13th, 2018. Graduate Students of the Executive Master of Business Administration, Health Care Administration, Library and Information Studies, as well as Master level Nursing programs (including Nurse Practitioner programs).
*For further information regarding Orientation, please contact Deborah Unruh with the Office of Student Life at 713-794-2157 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Page last updated 2:56 PM, August 7, 2017