Alpha Kappa Delta is the International Sociology Honor Society dedicated to encouragement and recognition of academic excellence and achievement in sociology and to promotion of an interest in sociology, research in social problems, and activities leading to human welfare.
Mission and History
Founded in 1920 by Dr. Edward Bogardus at the University of Southern California, AKD takes its name from three Greek words, "anthropon" (humankind), "katamanthanein" (to investigate thoroughly), and "diakonesein" (for the purpose of service). AKD has over 430 chapters in the United States and several other countries, and publishes a well-respected professional journal Sociological Inquiry. This organization shall be a non-secret, democratic, international society of scholars dedicated to the ideal of Anthropon Katamanthanein Diakonesein or "to investigate humanity for the purpose of service." It shall be the purpose of this Society to promote an interest in the study of Sociology, research of social problems, and such other social and intellectual activities as will lead to improvement in the human condition.
AKD History at TWU: Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society, was established at TWU in 1936. The purpose as defined in the creation of the society is to investigate humanity for the purpose of service. The goal of AKD at TWU is to further academic excellence through student interaction. Activities of the chapter include projects within the University and assisting in the recruitment of students from other countries.
Membership is open to undergraduate and graduate sociology students who meet the following requirements:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program at TWU
- Must be at least a junior Must have ranked in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship or accumulated an overall GPA of 3.2.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail)
The $50 fee for lifetime membership also includes a one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry. Application_Form_2014 [Word]
Who To Contact [2014-2015 Executive Board]
- Lucas Espinoza, President: LucasE@twu.edu
- Luis Espinoza, Vice President: Lespinoza1@twu.edu
- Prauttus Samuel, Secretary: Psamuel1@twu.edu
- Maggie Bohm, Treasurer: Mbohm@twu.edu
- Joanna Lara, Community Service Relations Coordinator: JLara2@twu.edu
For More Information Please Contact AKD.DeltaofTexas@gmail.com
page last updated 12/15/2014 10:34 AM