Jobs for Sociology Majors
The following are examples of jobs that sociology majors have obtained:
- Positions with the U.S. Census Bureau
- Youth Services
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Mental Health positions
- State Departments of Corrections
- Area Agencies on Aging
- Public Relations
- Correctional Officers
- Sales Representatives
- Community Planning
- Case Manager
- Health Services
- Marketing research
- Program Administration
- Research Analyst
In addition, a major in sociology provides a strong foundation for careers in law, management, journalism, human services, urban and environmental planning, government and education.
Careers in Sociology
- American Sociological Association: Both of these links have information on careers in sociology, including careers for those with bachelors degrees in sociology and those with graduate training. Check them out on the web at http://www.asanet.org/research/BachelorsinSociology.pdf and at http://www.asanet.org/employment/sociology.cfm
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: This annual publication has information on sociology careers, including job prospects, career opportunities, and the outlook for growth in sociology as a field. They are on the web at: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/sociologists.htm. This link contains information for sociology and political science (as the OOH treats them in the same listing).
- TWU Career Services: They can help you with every stage of your job search, including information on careers, assistance with resume preparation, internships, and maintaining job placement files for your credentials. They can be found on the web at http://www.twu.edu/career-services/
- Salaries in Sociology: http://www.asanet.org/research/stats/salaries.cfm
- Career Thoughts: Information on careers for Sociology majors.http://careerthoughts.com/sociology-majors
- American Sociological Association: This is the premier professional association for Sociology. Their site contains information on sociology careers, job opportunities for those with graduate training in sociology, and information on recent research of interest to sociologists. Their website is at http://www.asaonline.net
- Southwestern Sociological Association: Part of the Southwestern Social Science Association, SSA is the regional organization for sociologists in Texas and other parts of the Southwestern US. Their site has information on conferences, publications, and other information of interest to local sociologists. Their website is at: http://www.sssaonline.org/
Graduate Programs in Sociology
This section has information on graduate programs in sociology, including TWU, UNT, and UT Arlington. Note that UT Arlington only has an MA program in sociology, while TWU and UNT have an MA and PhD program in Sociology.
- What About Graduate School: Useful information about graduate school in sociology. Some information and useful tips. http://www.asanet.org/employment/careers21st_Graduateschool.cfm
- TWU Graduate Program in Sociology: http://www.twu.edu/sociology/masters.asp
- UNT Graduate Program in Sociology: http://www.unt.edu/pais/grad/gsoci.htm
- UT Arlington Graduate Program in Sociology: http://www.uta.edu/socio-anthro/socio/prospective_students.html#grad
- Sociology Graduate Programs: A listing of sociology graduate programs in the U.S. http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/sociology
Sociology Career Guides
- Lambert, Stephen E. 2008. Great Jobs for Sociology Majors. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Princeton Review. 2007. What To Do With Your Psychology or Sociology Degree. Dallas, TX: Princeton Review.
page last updated 1/29/2015 6:26 PM