Sylvia Vardell, Ph.D.
School of Library and Information Studies
Ph.D., 1983, University of Minnesota
Curriculum and Instruction: Children’s Literature/Language Arts
B.S., 1976, University of Texas
- Associate Professor, University of Texas at Arlington, School of Education
- Assistant Professor, University of Nevada at Las Vegas, College of Education
- Associate Professor and Fulbright Scholar, University of Zimbabwe
- Assistant Professor, University of Houston-Victoria, Division of Education
- At Master’s level: LS 5603 Literature for Children and Young Adults, LS 5623 Advanced Literature for Young Adults, LS 5653 Multicultural Children’s Literature, LS 5663 Poetry for Children
- At Doctoral level: LS 6643 Nonfiction for Children and Young Adults, LS 6633 Materials and Services for the Very Young Child, LS 6623 History of Children’s Literature
- Advises an average of 50 MLS students each semester
- Has chaired/is chairing 12 dissertations and theses
- Originated and edits Librarians’ Choices, an annual review and selection guide for the latest books for children and young adults
- 2014 recipient of the Scholastic Library Publishing Award presented to a librarian whose “unusual contribution to the stimulation and guidance of reading by children and young people” exemplifies outstanding achievement in the profession.
- Texas Woman’s University, College of Professional Education: Teacher of the Year Award, 2003, 2012; Outstanding Academic Mentor/Advisor Award, 2010
Dr. Vardell has authored or co-authored more than one hundred published articles and has contributed chapters to or has authored more than twenty-five books including:
- Vardell, S.M. (2014). The poetry Friday anthology for science. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S. M. (2014). Painting the poetry landscape: Twenty-five years of poetry for young people in The Newbery and Caldecott awards: A guide to the medal and honor books. American Library Association.
- Vardell, S.M. (2013). The poetry Friday anthology for middle school. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S.M. (2012). The poetry Friday anthology. Pomelo Books (with Janet Wong).
- Vardell, S.M. (2012). The poetry teacher’s book of lists. Pomelo Books.
- Vardell, S.M. (2006/2014). Poetry aloud here!: Sharing poetry with children. American Library Association.
- Vardell, S.M. (2007). Poetry people: A practical guide to children’s poets. Libraries Unlimited.
- Vardell, S.M. (2008/2014). Children’s literature in action: A librarian’s guide. Libraries Unlimited.
- Dr. Vardell is the regular poetry columnist for Book Links magazine published by the American Library Association and maintains a regular professional blog on sharing poetry with young people, PoetryforChildren http://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/.
- Dr. Vardell has edited digital anthologies of poetry for young people with collaborator Janet Wong: PoetryTagtime; p*tag; Gift Tag; The Poetry Friday Anthology.
- Received more than $150,000 in federal and other grants
- Member, Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults Committee, Young Adult Library Services Association
- Member, Wilder Award Committee, Association for Library Service to Children
- Member, Arbuthnot Committee, Association for Library Service to Children
- Member, Sibert Award for Informational Books, American Library Association
- Member, Odyssey Award for Outstanding Audiobooks, ALSC/YALSA
- Dr. Vardell served as editor of Bookbird, the journal of the International Board on Books for Young People.
- President, United States Board on Books for Young People
- Co-Chair, National Council of Teachers of English Excellence in Poetry for Children Award
- Judge, Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award
- Chair, Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children
- Dr. Vardell has also made more than one hundred and fifty presentations at the regional and national level.
page last updated 11/20/2014 11:30 AM