The Master of Library Science (MLS) degree with School Librarian Certification (SLC) focus is available entirely online and is designed to prepare professionals to work in school libraries and other information environments.
This preparation is achieved by: 1) the acquisition of knowledge in a set of courses basic to an understanding of library and information studies; 2) advanced instruction in courses selected according to the student's career goals; 3) completion of a practicum or internship.
Total hours for MLS with SLC: 36
Steps to Admission
- Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials, in a single, complete mailing, to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438.
- A SLIS application form. Please indicate on the form that you plan to pursue the MLS and the School Librarianship plan.
- A resume
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A 2-page statement of intent
2. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- SLIS requires the submission of an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Preferred scores fall at or above national aggregate medians for available demographic variables.
- Note: Applicants holding a prior graduate degree are not required to submit the standardized test score.
- Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
- The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Ms. Brenda Mallory in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or email@example.com.
Required Courses for the MLS with SLC focus: 30 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5013 Information Organization and Retrieval
- LS 5603 Literature for Children and Young Adults
- LS 5233 Multimedia Resources and Services
- LS 5333 School Library Media Center
- LS 5443 Librarians as Instructional Partners
- LS 5003 Collection Development
- LS 5103 Cataloging and Classification
- LS 5263 Information Sources and Services
- LS 5843 Practicum
Library Science Electives: 6 hours
Requirements for the School Librarian Certification
- Successfully complete a school librarian preparation program
- Successfully complete the assessments required (TExES)
- Hold a master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education (academic program the degree is from is not specified)
- Have two school years of classroom teaching experience from a public or accredited private school
For Texas certification information, contact the Office of Student Support at (940) 898-2829 or email Linda Kobler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Out-of-State Students Seeking School Librarian Certification
A student attending TWU with plans to work as a school librarian in another state should always check with that state to find out its requirements. Different states have different requirements. For a student graduating from TWU with the MLS degree, having taken the required school library courses, another state might require:
- Texas School Librarian Certificate
- Passing that particular state’s exam for certification
- Specific course(s) from that state
For TWU to recommend a student as a school librarian, that student must have taken the required school library courses. Students in the state of Texas must pass the TExES examination. In order for a student to be given approval to take the TExES exam, the student must have taken or be near completion of 18 hours of School Librarian Certification required coursework, including LS 5233, LS 5333, and LS 5443. Twelve of those hours must have been completed at TWU. TWU is not responsible for the acceptance of its degree or courses by other states. Please see the SLIS Student Resources Blackboard organization (login required) for further information.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
School Librarianship [pdf]
page last updated 2/28/2014 11:20 AM