The Master of Arts in Library Science degree program at Texas Woman's University is accredited by the American Library Association Committee on Accreditation, with the status of Continued accreditation. The next comprehensive review visit is scheduled for Spring 2017.
The Master of Arts in Library Science (MA in Library Science) degree is available entirely online and is designed to prepare library and information professionals to conduct research in an information environment. This includes positions in:
- Academic libraries
- Public libraries
- School libraries
- Corporate and other special libraries
This preparation is achieved by: 1) the acquisition of knowledge in a set of courses basic to an understanding of library and information studies; 2) advanced instruction in a set of research courses; 3) completion of a thesis; and 4) experience in a research setting. As graduates conduct their professional research and/or move into doctoral programs in librarianship, they will make effective contributions to library research.
Goals of the MA in Library Science degree, in addition to goals for the MLS, are: 1) to contribute to the improvement of library and information services through research; 2) to produce graduates who can work in association with researchers in other disciplines; and 3) to produce graduates with research expertise needed to work in academic libraries, government agencies, etc.
Total hours: 39
Steps to Admission
1. Apply to the TWU Graduate School.
- No standard test score is required if your undergraduate GPA is 3.0 or above, or if you have another graduate degree.
- If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you are required to submit an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
2. Apply to SLIS. Only complete application packets will be considered. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current. Submit the following materials, in a single, complete mailing, to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438.
- A SLIS application form (fillable PDF form; Chrome browser recommended)
- A resume
- 3 letters of recommendation
- A 2-page statement of intent (your professional goals and career interests)
- Applications continue to be accepted until all available spaces are filled.
- The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
Core Courses for the MA in Library Science degree: 24 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5013 Information Organization and Retrieval
- LS 5043 Information and Communications Technology
- LS 5003 Collection Development
- LS 5263 Information Sources and Services
- LS 5383 Library Management
- LS 5753 Research Methods
- LS 5843 Practicum
Electives in Library Science and other disciplines: 6 hours
Research tool: 3 hours
Thesis: 6 hours
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Ms. Brenda Mallory in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
page last updated 11/19/2015 1:46 PM