The Graduate Certificate is for those interested in becoming:
- a health science librarian
- a manager in a health science or nursing facility
- an evidence-based practicing professional in a health science or nursing facility
- a faculty member in health science librarianship
Total hours: 21 for those without the MLS degree; 12 for those holding the MLS
Applicants for the certificate program must meet one of the following two conditions:
- Possession of a graduate degree (masterís or doctoral) in a discipline in Nursing, Health Sciences, or Library Science; OR
- Admission to a graduate degree program in the TWU College of Nursing, College of Health Sciences, or School of Library and Information Studies.
For students with a masterís degree, a Certificate of Evidence-Based Health Science Librarianship is awarded when the student completes all course requirements for the certificate program.†For students pursuing a masterís degree concurrently, the certificate is awarded after the student completes all requirements for the graduate degree.
Steps to Admission
- Apply to SLIS. Mail the†SLIS Graduate Certificate application form to TWU SLIS, PO Box 425438, Denton, TX 76204-5438. Applicants are responsible for keeping their contact information current.
- Apply to the TWU Graduate School. Indicate Graduate Certificate as the admission option on the application form.†
SLIS requires the submission of an official standardized test score as part of the application to the Graduate School. Official test scores are accepted from the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT or Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Preferred scores fall at or above national aggregate medians for available demographic variables.
- Note: The test score requirement is waived for applicants holding an accredited graduate degree in another discipline, OR if the concurrently admitted degree program does not require a standardized test score.
- Applications continue to be accepted for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
- The preferred application deadlines are July 1 for the Fall semester, December 1 for the Spring semester, and May 1 for the Summer semester.
For questions on the SLIS admissions process, please contact Ms. Brenda Mallory in the SLIS office at 940-898-2602, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Library Science Core Courses: 9 hours
- LS 5083 Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5013 Information Organization and Retrieval
- LS 5043 Information and Communication Technology
Note: Applicants holding the Master of Library Science degree can waive these required Library Science core courses (9 hours).
Required Health Informatics Courses: 9 hours
- LS 5363 Health Science Information Services†
- LS 5473 Health Reference Information Sources and Services
- LS 5483 Consumer Health Information Resources
Required Practicum: 3 hours
- LS 5843 Practicum: Evidence-Based Practice in a Health Science Library
For More Information
For questions about the Graduate Certificate in Evidence-Based Health Science Librarianship program, please contact Dr. Carol Perryman at email@example.com or (940) 898-2602.
U.S. Department of Education Gainful Employment Disclosure
page last updated 3/2/2015 6:25 PM